New saw help

Alun

as previously said by many get the best you can afford . But my thoughts are go to a dealer that has different brands in and handle them rotate them .if possible try them as a saw that gives you back ache is just a pain.

as far as battery i would avoid them why  well because there isnt enough service and repair people out there  yet .

a good tip for long storing a petrol saw = drain the fuel and run it dry .

good hunting chap.

3 hours ago, lurch_917 said:

a good tip for long storing a petrol saw = drain the fuel and run it dry .

good hunting chap.

Or use an Alkylate fuel , especially if only using the saw for a few times a year . . No need to drain down then .

• Like 3

A mains corded saw for firewood at home is good.

Cheap to buy and cheap to run  less noise &  no fumes V petrol lasts for decades   versus batteries that  evetually degrade esp if crosscutting firwood  alot as that would use up batteries rapidily thus alot of recharge cycles.

I have a small battery saw never bother  using it for firewood much apart from  branches 3inch or less as the chain is smaller pitch thus less grabby

Use petrol for the bigger diameter logs as faster.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you that have replied, its much appreciated.

I had a good look at the battery saws out there and some are really quite impressive now, but i feel they would be too restrictive in use due to the run time from batteries, great for an hour of cutting at home but not really an option to use away from home, plus for a good setup you are right up there money wise, the weight of the latest 40v makita is well over 7kg i believe so a fair old lump.

The main things putting me off going for a good pro saw like the stihl 261 or husky 550 are, i would only be using it for logs say 5 times a year, and also im only just starting out with chainsaws so dont know if these saws would have a bit too much power to start out with untill i have a bit more experience.

The saws i have used are a husky 435 and stihl 170 so was thinking along the lines of the next step up from there.

Thanks for fuel tip, have read up on this and the saw will only ever be run on Aspen type fuel👍

The stihl ms211 is the bigger brother of the ms181. Same chassis, just a bit more output, which means it will occasionally cope with a 16" bar if you need it. Standard is 14" .

Parts are pretty much available on the moon, and stihl tend to continue spare parts once a model is discontinued for many more years than most due to their global reach. The 026 for example is still made for certain countries in south america due to less restrictive emissions, so parts are still readily available even though in the uk the model was discountnued around 2000.

I sell loads of 181 and 211's to gardeners and man in a van types which the saws are not really designed for that type of regular usage (they are home owner saws) yet they dont break them despite getting little or no maintenance.

Echo are good reliable well built saws, but we have always had issues with parts availability and dealers are generally few and far between.

As for husky, I can't really comment as its been over 20 years since I was a main dealer for them...I was selling 136, 140 and 340's back in the day. However you do find pro users are either stihl or husky generally, and they don't normally recommend the 'opposition' they are very dyed in the wool when it comes to either of those brands tbh 😁

Edited by pleasant