MS881 chainsaw mill- .404 or Low Pro?

doobin

As above. Going to purchase a Panther mill from @RobD. Thinking 54" or 64". Primarily for edging off and creating cants from larger butts on site- the 14" depth of cut would give me a cant which I could just about squeak four nominal 7" oak posts from back at the yard on the bandsaw. Milling the cants on site has got to be better than hauling back all of the tree, and I can only fit 30" on the bandsaw anyhow.

Has anyone experience of using low pro on this size bar and saw? The thinner kerf appeals- am I right in thinking that problems with the chain snapping are usually on longer lengths? How is it for chip clearance? Not worried about finish. I want the fastest cutting combination.

• Like 1

Hi ,

Can't make comment o lo-pro on the 881.

Can say I used 42" lo-pro on 661. I had a couple of chains go on nails and a couple of nose sprockets. Reverted to 3/8th with no further issue.

My thought was despite greasing the lo-pro sprocket the width of the bar wasn't  quite enough for the bearing to be viable... My opinion though. .

My 881 on the other hand runs a 46" Sugi with 404 and absolutely rips. 

Worth seeing what @AJStrees  or @Rough Hewn have to say.

• Like 2

I’ve used the 48” Lo pro bar and Stihl chain to good results with the 881. Though you have to be fairly careful with it and as @Bob_z_l you can have sprockets break and your bar maintenance needs to be really good otherwise the slightest nick in the bar can cause chains to snap. However on a 90cc Chinese saw I’ve milled loads of stuff using lo pro.  Personally I would stick with .404 and the 881. The Oregon ripping chain is perfectly good for that. 

I also have a 64” bar but it doesn’t come out too often and it’s  fair weight to have to drag around. My favoured set up is a 42” Stihl .404 bar and chain on the 881 with a 48” mill. Seems to be good size for most logs I mill up. 

have used the 880 and a 46” sugi bar in the past and that was a great set up too. 

• Like 4

Thanks for your input guys. Is the consensus that an 881 is not taxed with a 54" setup, so low pro chain is more hassle due to having to treat it with kid gloves?

If I were to get a .404 bar that could do double duty for large fells and crosscutting also. So a saving there.

@AJStrees- what is the biggest butt you can handle with the 42" bar? On a 48" mil- are you saying the mill would take up to a 48" bar but you use 42"? How does that work, I don't quite follow.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

I have 48" Alaskan, a 54" bar would let you use the full width of the mill losing about 6" in mounting the saw, so yes 54" would be the right bar to max out a 48" mill.

In practice I've only got got an ms650 for milling atm and the biggest bar for that is 42" Oregon  3/8" which lets me get around  a 36" cut or a couple of inches more with the dogs off.

When I get an 881🙃 I reckon I'll go 54" / 404.  cheers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

I have 48" Alaskan, a 54" bar would let you use the full width of the mill losing about 6" in mounting the saw, so yes 54" would be the right bar to max out a 48" mill.

Phew... same figures as me. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

Hoping @AJStrees  backs me up.

Yes mate you lose 6 inches when the saw goes into the mill. 

Quoting @Macpherson and @Bob_z_l you can adjust the mill to the bar length. So I’ve got a mill that holds a 48” bar but can hold whatever bar length you want below that. Also as above you could put s 54” bar into the 48” mill and use the whole width of the mill. So with my current set up I can mill a log at a squeeze up to 36” wide. 

i would like to upgrade to a 54” GB bar but probably a 46” sugi hara solid bar would be as much as I would want. That would allow you to mill a log 40” wide. 

how big do you need? Plus you can always get another bar and chain if you really need it. Personally I don’t see the need to have a whopping great bar unless you need it for a very wide log. 

I believe @Rough Hewn uses a 60” set up on a more regular basis from what he has told me in the past. 

the options are endless 👍🤣well almost…. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

I reckon you'll lose 6" of the 42" bar. More if you don't take the dogs off.

Correct it’s 6”. I believe on the panther mill it’s designed so the dogs slot into the back of the upright so you don’t lose  any more length. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doobin said:

If I were to get a .404 bar that could do double duty for large fells and crosscutting also. So a saving there.

Yes. What bar did you get with your 881? The Stihl rollomatic bars have replaceable sprocket noses. Otherwise sugi hara solid are good or yes 54” gb bar are also good.