Can I get my 881 converted to .063 chain?

Giles D

8 hours ago, Bob_z_l said:

Your 881 doesn't sound right. My 881 tears through with a 36 and 404 compared to the 661 with 36 on 3/8
Never bogs or struggles. Those extra cc's always make it feel  unstoppable. 

My 881 blasts through monster logs with a 42” bar and chain cross cutting. It’s a beast. Though I do like the grunt of the older 880. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I'm a Husqvarna man mostly and use Oregon . Used to use Stihl chains on occasion when I could get one in .058 . 

I think I might be bisawual. I mostly have husky, but the Stihl 881 is a good saw and if I had the money I would probably get a 661 too. One can never have enough saws and they each play their role in the bigger game. 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

5.5 is recommended by Oregon and Husqvarna for 3/8 chain. I just use the 5.2 for everything as started with Stihl and got a few boxes.

Awesome, you learn something everyday.  I'll try and find and Oregon 3/8ths chain once this one is used up.  I'm trying really hard to get everything onto .325 or .404 to reduce the number of files I need to carry.  Its mostly .325 but I just like .404 for milling. So if I can get the 3/8ths to use the same file as .404 this would be great.  Isn't the terminology baffling - a total mix of metric and imperial, decimal and fractions ? 

Edited by Muddy42
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I'm the opposite, only remember 7/32 for 3/8 and .404 and 3/16 for .325, as @Stubby I change to 3/16 when a 3/8 chainis half worn but don't sweat if only a 7/32 is to hand.

I've worked this out carefully now, next one down from 7/32 should be 13/64 though?

I'll call it 5.2 otherwise my brain hurts.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I've worked this out carefully now, next one down from 7/32 should be 13/64 though?

I'll call it 5.2 otherwise my brain hurts.

After a quick calculation you are right, 5.2 mm is nearest to 13/64 but I only use 2 sizes, plus the little ones for the pole saw which I snap, so as long as 20% of the diameter is above the cutter it's about right whatever file within reason.

• Like 1