Can I get my 881 converted to .063 chain?

Giles D

16 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

Your 881 doesn't sound right. My 881 tears through with a 36 and 404 compared to the 661 with 36 on 3/8
Never bogs or struggles. Those extra cc's always make it feel  unstoppable. 

Strange.... I get it looked at... I had a hunch something wasn't quite right.

If you read the manual for your 881, it does give options for 3/8 chain - you'll need a new bar tip (unless its a hard nosed tip) and drive sprocket.  The bar mount is still specific to the large saws, but I guess you are simplifying the range of files you need to keep in stock. For me that benefit would be pretty marginal, I find .404 chain really easy to sharpen.

A 120 cc saw should feel like a motorbike with a chain attached. Try cutting without the mill, new chain etc. Post a video here maybe? Something not right.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

If you read the manual for your 881, it does give options for 3/8 chain - you'll need a new bar tip (unless its a hard nosed tip) and drive sprocket.  The bar mount is still specific to the large saws, but I guess you are simplifying the range of files you need to keep in stock. For me that benefit would be pretty marginal, I find .404 chain really easy to sharpen.

A 120 cc saw should feel like a motorbike with a chain attached. Try cutting without the mill, new chain etc. Post a video here maybe? Something not right.

.404 uses the same size file as 3/8ths .

My Stihl guide tells me to use 5.2mm files on 3/8ths and 5.5mm files on .404?  I appreciate you can get away with slightly oversize or undersize files at a pinch.

I'm genuinely interested as I currently stock both, it would be great if I could simplify things ! 

Edited by Muddy42
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

My Stihl guide tells me to use 5.2mm files on 3/8ths and 5.5mm files on .404?  I appreciate you can get away with slightly oversize or undersize files at a pinch.

I'm genuinely interested as I currently stock both, it would be great if I could simplify things ! 

I use 7/32 for both . On 3/8ths I might step down a size when its gone past half way .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

I find that depending on cutter/tooth type I might use 5.2 or 5.5 file. Some of the Oregon cutters are quite a different shape depending on what chain you are using. But obviously 5.5 on .404. That’s just me though. 👍