Isuzu N35.125 Vs N35.150 Manual Vs Auto?

William Clifford

Am in the market for a new truck. Read a thread from a year ago but wondering if there's any more experiences with the above vehicles?

The dealer assures me that the N35.125 is a cracking engine and well up to the job of a loaded vehicle and trailer. That the larger engine is unnecessary cost and weight.

I was also told that if just towing a 750kg chipper and very occasionally a loaded 3.5T trailer than an auto would be ok, but if often towing a 3.5T  trailer then we would be better with the manual gearbox.

Thanks for any info.

We tried both 125 and 150 125 was gutless with chipper and full of chip. We also tried auto or manual auto just kept changing gear and then we found out that’s if goes wrong the auto box is quiet a bit more expensive. We have 150 manual and 5 year warranty including service and ours has done 36000 and 2 years old and is bomb proof tows anything and drives lovely. Only 2 issues the gearbox is a bit odd as reverse is left and top and first gear is left and down and sometimes you forget. The seats are not comfy at all and there is very little storage in the cab and its tight, but you can get an extra wide cab.

I have the 125 and have to say that I have found no problem with a full load and towing a chipper. 

Manual gears which seem fine. 

Have to say I think so far its a brilliant tree wagon. 

Had a Nissan cabstar before which I loved and would have kept apart from the ulez but now glad I made the change. 

Ok, thanks both for the replies. Not sure which way I'll go if no-one else chimes in. With ally arb back, toolpod, people and kit the payload with the smaller engine will be around 500kg we're estimating. Put the larger engine in and it knocks another 260kg off of that.

Unless it's a small fettling job we'll be having another chip van anyway 🤔

Cheers Doobin. I read one of the earlier threads from 2020 on this and back then you suggested only the larger engine had Ad Blue and a DPF. Now both seem to have the DPD and Ad Blue but the smaller one has the Lean NOx trap as well. I know what you mean about making them to meet requirements not necessarily for power and simplicity.

I only work locally so no motorway runs etc and probably only pulling a loaded trailer once every couple of weeks, otherwise it would be a 750kg chipper.

Thanks for the input!

I have a grafter 150 manual that I bought new in 2016 and had a custom chip box built... Touch wood it has been the most reliable machine I've ever owned 72k on the clock towing 95% of the time still on original brake pads and disks same clutch etc. Only issue I had was a broken nox sensor that cost £600 to replace. Good solid trucks expensive parts when they do go wrong. I think the dpf is coming to the end of its life and its around £1500 to replace! Don't bother with the extra money for the auto save your money and get manual... The new 1.9 engine 125bhp are crap when you are towing go for the 150, people are put off by the add blue etc which is peanuts to fill... 

Pros cheap truck "as they are trucks downplated 5.5 tonner for UK market" 

Robust

Reliable 

Work horse

Cons 

Noisy engine "who cares its for work" 

Expensive parts "hardly break" 

Will knock your fillings out of you drive over a pound coin. 

I'd deffo buy again

IMG_20170802_152023.jpg

• Thanks 1