Stihl Hexa chain - who's used it? Feedback?

Rob D

I used a saw with it in about a year ago whilst working with Mike in Bergen last April.

Seemed to cut ok when sharp.

easy enough to touch up to sharpen.

my main gripe was the file is a specific shape to the cutter so cannot be rotated.  IMO it is bound to wear out sharpish and at 10-20 quid a pop…. Is it worth it?

1 hour ago, Rich Rule said:

I used a saw with it in about a year ago whilst working with Mike in Bergen last April.

Seemed to cut ok when sharp.

easy enough to touch up to sharpen.

my main gripe was the file is a specific shape to the cutter so cannot be rotated.  IMO it is bound to wear out sharpish and at 10-20 quid a pop…. Is it worth it?

Yep it's a good point really - if you said a file per chain and the chain is already fairly expensive..

The chain itself isn't that much more, only a few quid if memory serves. The files aren't the cheapest but, they reckon you can get two chain out of them. As far as I'm aware the first batch of files they had produced weren't hardened correctly so might not even last for a full chain. Last I checked you could get these replaced as warranty. I've got it on my 441 and I can tell the difference. It will fit some of the older husqvarna saws though that ran 3/8 though.

• Like 2

Those with the stihl chain grinders can add this wheel to the list and save the file a little 😉

but when I found it , I don’t remember if it was available in the uk 🙄 but I see it is after looking for it 👍😉

WWW.MOWERS2GO.CO.UK

Buy the Stihl Grinding wheel for 3/8" Hexa here at the best price.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well gents I did place an order with Chainsaw bars for two Hexa chains, a 20" bar, drive sprocket and file for my MS441 which I've had since 2011, so well used to its performance. I've only had the chance to put two tanks of fuel through the saw with this new chain. Boy it cuts fast, really fast! I've only cross cut ash fire wood with it. Plunge cutting is very fast and controllable to. I'll write up more of my thoughts on this chain once I return home after a four week trip working offshore. I can only think that running on this on a 500i or an 880 would be fantastic. Cheers Rob   

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/04/2023 at 04:40, Rob1982 said:

Well gents I did place an order with Chainsaw bars for two Hexa chains, a 20" bar, drive sprocket and file for my MS441 which I've had since 2011, so well used to its performance. I've only had the chance to put two tanks of fuel through the saw with this new chain. Boy it cuts fast, really fast! I've only cross cut ash fire wood with it. Plunge cutting is very fast and controllable to. I'll write up more of my thoughts on this chain once I return home after a four week trip working offshore. I can only think that running on this on a 500i or an 880 would be fantastic. Cheers Rob   

Thanks for posting if you can add some pics to this then I'll refund one of the chains and files back to that order :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rob D said:

Thanks for posting if you can add some pics to this then I'll refund one of the chains and files back to that order :)

Thanks for that, I'm away on a boat in the North sea at the moment, back in two weeks. I'll be in the woods after that and had a bit more and some photos after I've had more time to use the new chain. Cheers Rob

• Like 2