Why won't it cut?

ihatesaws

Thats the kind of file you find hiding in the corner at the bottom of the tool box, like a tin of John West tuna in the back of the cupboard.

TBH, the chain in the last pic doesnt look sharp. Grab yourself a new file and spend a good 5-10 minutes sharpening the chains up and dropping the rakers a bit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ihatesaws said:

That's great info.  That file is new.  It never did any work.  It just sat there for years rusting.   I just need to file the rust off 😏.  If I get the saw running well I'll invest in a new file.  It will be some meditation exercise if I have to take that much off all the teeth.

yes the file may have been new years ago but the rust has taken the cutting edge off of it just think buy a brand new car park it on your drive for ten years its no longer new its got ten years of age and rust .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lurch_917 said:

yes the file may have been new years ago but the rust has taken the cutting edge off of it just think buy a brand new car park it on your drive for ten years its no longer new its got ten years of age and rust .

This👍    Plus I think the op will need more than 1 new file to remove enough material to rescue both these chains, depending on the brand.

• Like 1

I think the last time I saw a chain filed that badly was when the forestry commission used its own ‘operatives’ to fell all its trees, half never could file and used to get the roving mechanic to do it properly for them whenever he came up the rideway, which could be once a week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

I think the last time I saw a chain filed that badly was when the forestry commission used its own ‘operatives’ to fell all its trees, half never could file and used to get the roving mechanic to do it properly for them whenever he came up the rideway, which could be once a week.

so they only dropped 1 tree a week oh well thats  .gov for you.

On 02/03/2023 at 16:57, oldwoodcutter said:

I concour that is one nasty chain! dust and bin are a couple of words that are springing to mind atm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1