Which battery powered drill for eco plugs

Tom Richards

I used eco plugs for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Decent sized poplar so many holes. This made fairly short work of it 😅 

WWW.SCREWFIX.COM

Order Makita DDA460ZK Twin 18V Li-Ion LXT Brushless Cordless Right-Angled Drill - Bare at Screwfix.com...

8 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I used eco plugs for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Decent sized poplar so many holes. This made fairly short work of it 😅 

WWW.SCREWFIX.COM

Order Makita DDA460ZK Twin 18V Li-Ion LXT Brushless Cordless Right-Angled Drill - Bare at Screwfix.com...

Way overkill. Smaller, lighter and faster drill is the order of the day for multiple ecoplug holes. Sod carrying that around.

Also, the lip and spur drill bit with a stop that they sell you is retarded- there's no other word for it. Lip and spur bits are for highly accurate, well centred holes in dry joinery timber. They take twice as long as a twist bit to drill, and four times as long in green stump wood. Totally and utterly the wrong thing, put together by someone with no knowledge of drilling holes.

WWW.PROGREEN.CO.UK

Drill bit designed to be used with the Ecoplug Max. Makes sure you get the depth right every time. Please note:...

I welded a heavy washer around a suitable twist bit, well sharpened with good relief. I can drill a hole in a fraction of a second with no effort whatsoever. It rips straight down to the stop and then spins against the stop, smashing the swarf to smithereens.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, doobin said:

Way overkill. Smaller, lighter and faster drill is the order of the day for multiple ecoplug holes. Sod carrying that around.

Also, the lip and spur drill bit with a stop that they sell you is retarded- there's no other word for it. Lip and spur bits are for highly accurate, well centred holes in dry joinery timber. They take twice as long as a twist bit to drill, and four times as long in green stump wood. Totally and utterly the wrong thing, put together by someone with no knowledge of drilling holes.

WWW.PROGREEN.CO.UK

Drill bit designed to be used with the Ecoplug Max. Makes sure you get the depth right every time. Please note:...

I welded a heavy washer around a suitable twist bit, well sharpened with good relief. I can drill a hole in a fraction of a second with no effort whatsoever. It rips straight down to the stop and then spins against the stop, smashing the swarf to smithereens.

I disagree as the brad points are cheap and easy to sharpen, no welding required with this:

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Single-Split-/CASB13Z--13mm-Shaft-Collar-Single-Split-40324-p

and it can be moved when the tip wears

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, doobin said:

I mean I had my 18v drill as well, but this was in the truck and definitely faster… anyway I obviously wasn’t seriously suggesting someone goes out and buys that to poison trees…

23 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I disagree as the brad points are cheap and easy to sharpen, no welding required with this:

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Single-Split-/CASB13Z--13mm-Shaft-Collar-Single-Split-40324-p

and it can be moved when the tip wears

It’s not often I disagree with you mate but I have to here. A twist bit is just as cheap, sharpening and wear just won’t be a factor in the intended application. Above all it’s so much quicker, which is the main factor in such a repetitive job as drilling eco plugs. 

Here’s mine.

35B80E4C-D321-4FAF-9A3A-EEB0F9F1AACE.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, doobin said:

It’s not often I disagree with you mate but I have to here. A twist bit is just as cheap, sharpening and wear just won’t be a factor in the intended application. Above all it’s so much quicker, which is the main factor in such a repetitive job as drilling eco plugs. 

Here’s mine.

35B80E4C-D321-4FAF-9A3A-EEB0F9F1AACE.jpeg

Looks the biz . I see you have ground a secondary back clearance behind the cutting land .   

4 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

The two stroke petrol drills are a good choice if there are a lot of on site holes to drill. There are a few flavours, Ryobi or Stihl are good.

Bob

IMG_3822.thumb.JPG.00a373598086fa519d8f7901c413cbd0.JPG

Still slow, heavy and cumbersome. Battery tech has taken over imho especially for such a lightweight application. The Makita 90 degree drill that started this debate is great for the intended application and will run rings around my old stihl petrol drill for auger holes into oak (or at least, my Milwaukee version does) 

• Like 3