Wide 5kw stove recommendations

21 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Ah see, might be too small... I need at least 14", preferably 17. 

The next one up in the range is the 8kw I think .  Looks the same just bigger . Check it out . Might fit your logs .

3 hours ago, Steven P said:

Log size is measured across the stove, diagonally you might get larger ones in... so I reckon you only have to shorten half your logs at that?

I would not " shorten them ", you just end up with lots of little stubby bits . Just cut them in half on a band saw or table saw .  Same number of cuts and no need to measure anything .

• Like 2

I too was thinking just grasp the nettle, cut them in half and move over to rubble firewood that all the gay little modern stoves use. I've always cut as long as possible to minimise work and sawdust and so they stack well but I'm more mechanised now and going the other way. Do short logs scoop into a machine bucket better than long ones. I'm not having a lot of luck pushing into piles of long logs with the skidsteer.

15 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

Jøtul 602 Eco classic stove design, this stove might be the new version of what you have. Normal output is 4.9kW and it takes up to 40cm long logs. 81% efficiency, there are more efficient stoves but don’t know of any 5kW stoves that take up to a 40cm log. 

I too have, but don't use, the earlier 602 model from 30 years back. I also cracked the back out  by stuffing over long sticks in. I do like the radiant heat from a glass door such tht I wouldn't go back but have wondered about converting it with a heated secondary air insert such the eco version has.

22 hours ago, Stubby said:

I would not " shorten them ", you just end up with lots of little stubby bits . Just cut them in half on a band saw or table saw .  Same number of cuts and no need to measure anything .

Of course, you can shorten them all by 5cm or by by 21cm.....

... 21cm is about half way..... doesn't matter where the cut is if they are shorter?

I tend to stack and dry mine at double length - they stack better, and when they come in for the winter cut them in half (electric saw in the garage, but the sawdust is more contained, easier to sweep up) - but can understand reluctance if you have already cut them all to a finished length and have to do it all again..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven P said:

... 21cm is about half way..... doesn't matter where the cut is if they are shorter?

No it doesn't matter but if they are all a similar length is that not a bit of a neater trick ? Like chuck two logs on the stove or chuck one log and then three smaller bits , Oh I don't care do what ever 😁

• Like 1