Small, low vibration chainsaw?

sandspider

Hi all

Need a new petrol chainsaw (domestic use only, but I log and burn around 10m3 per year), and due to a wrist injury I'm looking for something smallish, lightish and low vibration. Looking at the husky 135 mk 2, but the chainspeed at 17m/s is a bit slower than I'd like. Or there's the ms181, similar vibe levels and weight, can't seem to find the chain speed. Or there's the echo CS-310ES, which is a bit more vibratey and again I can't seem to find a chain speed. Also the echo is not much cheaper than the two better known brands. 

I had an old spear and Jackson in the past, which was cheap, heavy and vibratey, but worked well for a long time and cut a lot of wood! Chain speed 20m/s ish, so I'd like the replacement to not be slower.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks.

ms180  had bad vibes  but i see the ms181   looks like its being improved loads with regards to vibes in the sales infos but not used one.

Makita EA3600F40B looked your ideal saw  if they still existed:

https://www.makita.biz/product/category/ope/ea3600f/ea3600f_01f_ea3500s_01s_ea3200s_01s_view.pdf

Has  dawgs with holes for extra weight saving:

Motofierastrau Makita EA3600F40B, putere 2,4 CP

• Thanks 1

Echo CS-3510ES/CS-3510AC?

Very good power to weight.

Unsure about the merits of  ES starter systems or AC versions but might be a bonus if  it works well?

Can't find the data on vibes or chain speed? - but as its a new  model should be low vibes   looks good.

Edited by Stere

Thanks. I did see the vibe data on the 3510 somewhere, it was around 2m/s2 higher than the Stihl & Husky equivalents. I think that ES is echo's spring assisted starter mechanism, and AC seems to relate to an auto choke, stopping the user from flooding the engine. Might help I suppose.

I can't find the chain speed either. Also, I see the prices are similar to (or even more than) the Husky & Stihl equivalents, despite Echo being a less known name... Shame.

Its  lighter & maybe has better quality bits  & bobs  than the other homeowner saws dunno if that justifies the extra price & shame about the vibration being more.

Piston skirt seems to know all there is to know about echos and seemed to rate it.

WWW.ARBORISTSITE.COM

Anyone using this new model Echo 3510 ? What are your opinions ? I'm thinking of getting one but not many reviews...

Edited by Stere

I have a husky 135, its great, light and low vibes but after 9 years of quite heavy use it is showing its age, I suspect piston issues. I have used a stihl MS 170. as above, no complaints.  Both are light disposable saws around 35cc, but with sharp chains you don't need anything else.

Of find an older 45cc or 50cc saw and stick a short light bar on, go for low profile chain and get some decent anti vibe gloves - the experience wouldn't be that different from the saws above.

Edited by Muddy42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sandspider said:

Also, I see the prices are similar to (or even more than) the Husky & Stihl equivalents, despite Echo being a less known name...

The reason for that is very simple, the cheaper Husky and Stihl saws are now made in China, and look it. Echo is made in Japan and a superior quality product, other than any value attached to the name they shouldn't be the same price.

The warranty offered by the respective saws tells the story.

Edited by coppice cutter