Music on an android mobile

Doug Tait

How are people listening to music on their phone?

I recently got a new phone, somewhat against my will as there was nothing wrong with the one I had other than it no longer being supported by various apps and updates due to being too old.

To give you an idea, when I called my contract provider to upgrade I said "just the natural upgrade to the one I have" and the call handler laughed at me. Once she'd composed herself she explained "there's no natural upgrade for something that ancient, you've had it like, forever!" (an exaggeration by the young lady I'd add, only had it for 6yrs!).

The whole upgrade thing I find traumatic to say the least.

So now I've a new phone and it's all I have. No iPad, PC or laptop. No broadband at home or anything other than my mobile. I don't like the idea of streaming music as I'm often out of range for reception, I'd download stuff and save on phone but so far what I've tried doesn't play anyway, not a recognised file. Thought about the premium streaming stuff like Spotify or Prime that supposedly allow you to download but all I've heard from feedback is problems with it.

My listening habits are probably unusual as I tend to listen to the same one or three albums for ages so it suits me just to have them saved, available whenever I fancy with only the need of a charged up phone, no signal, subscription or data use required.

Any suggestions please?

6 years is forever in the phone world!

Never had problems with paid for Spotify.  I download if I want to listen offline.  Once you're sick of a piece or playlist un-download it.

The 'This is X' and 'X radio' functions are brilliant if you can listen online.  I wanted to find out about Steve Forbert the other day: when I'd run through his stuff Spotify was playing all kinds of good stuff from Steve Earle to Nick Lowe!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

What about this Doug?

710EE415-1BF7-4D94-AC9C-39FD0D22AE28.png

Very good, and you're in good company as everyone I know has been insinuating I'm neanderthal. The OH has been quite insulting about the fact I didn't unbox the new phone for 9mths after it arrived, apparently I was due another new one before I'd turned the new one on.

Seriously though, I like the look of that, does it have a headphone socket mate?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A listen today and a candle tomorrow 🙂.

Bluetooth is probably better for listening, plus you can have the phone in you're pocket out of harm's way and maybe even something like those Stihl Bluetooth ear defenders?.

Hate those inner ear type wired things, always fall off or out.

Edited by GarethM

3 minutes ago, GarethM said:

A listen today and a candle tomorrow 🙂.

Bluetooth is probably better for listening, plus you can have the phone in you're pocket out of harm's way and maybe even something like those Stihl Bluetooth ear defenders?.

Found it really frustrating when I used Bluetooth headphones in the past as they seemed to lose charge quickly. Iirc I gave up with them after having to take 2 pairs with me for a days listening.

I suppose you'll tell me the 'modern' ones are a lot better!

Asking the wrong person there, if I'm on my own without a radio I'm happy with silence and ear defenders.

Know a few people who use those ear bud things like apple, but use one at a time so they get a full day as one on charge whilst the other is in use.

The Stihl one says 38hour run time, not sure if that's standby or actual playing music.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1