best chain for electric chainsaw

herby1

Hi all, got a disability with left hand, sometimes have to cut fire wood up to about 1foot wide wood logs.

I got a sovereign 1800 electric chainsaw a few years ago, the saw is surprisingly powerful & capable of cutting decent wood, but is manageable with my disability for short times.

The only problem I've got is the chains keep stretching , the oiler is working & always topped up & chain is sharpened.

Been told by a friend that the chains i've been buying aren't up to the job & that I need a 'chippa chain' (not brand name, think he means a more heavy duty, rough cut chain ) 

Any advice/ recommendations/ help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The details of the chain should be stamped into the bar near the mount (or the machines book if you still have it), if you can find the sizes and number of drive links you should be able to order chain from a decent supplier. Chainsawbars.co.uk would be good place to start once you have the above info.

Firstly, make sure you're not over-tightening the chain.

My paying job is as a motorcycle mechanic and it's amazing how many people's trouble with stretching chains is that they're over-tight in the first place and the chain is just always trying to buy itself some slack. It does that, owner thinks it too slack, horses it back up again, chain stretches again, etc........... *

However, that not being the case, then you just want to buy a good quality chain in whatever size your saw takes.

Stihl chain is very popular but personally I've never used anything other than Oregon and never seen the need to look for anything else.

Also 1800w is pretty powerful and the thing about anything electrically driven is the torque aspect, so maybe it's just giving the chain a hard time.

But if you use a good brand of chain and it still stretches then maybe it's just something you'll have to live with.

* - just seen your reply as I was typing and this probably isn't the case here.

Edited by coppice cutter

If you have been over tightening the chain the evidence will be there on the sprocket. (Grooves worn).

All chains stretch though, cheaper ones more so. Changing to a different brand is doable,  but make sure everything matches, not just drive links. Probably best taking it somewhere initially,  if you're not familiar with sizing

Yep, used petrol chainsaws years ago, I always check chain tension is correct ( not too tight or loose ) before use.

No signs of wear to sprocket.

I think i'll take the electric chainsaw to a service/parts shop ( any recommendations around Spalding or Boston Linc's ) & get a decent correct chain, then can always buy more online in the future.