Ms261 Vs 400

cornishman07

Hi everyone, probably not a usual which saw thread, but there's a bit of a back story.
I have a brand new ms261 in the loft which I got as an insurance replacement for a stolen saw. I got a used 024 to use whilst it all got sorted but it's been a super little saw and I never got round to using the 261. I'm letting my step dad have the 024 now so time to use the 261. Or is it?!
I'd always fancied having a go at modding the muffler, maybe smoothing the ports as I like tinkering and to make it a bit more powerful for bigger stuff and to run alongside the 024. Since then the ms400 has come out though which I'm really leaning towards. It's more cc than the 261 so probably not a fair comparison. Obviously the 261 would cost nothing but I've seen a good deal on the 400 and I could sell the 261 and put the money towards it. And I can always borrow my 024 back for small stuff if needed. Any opinions greatly appreciated!

IMG_20230127_075046912.jpg

I sold my own ms261 just before christmas on the 'bay'

If it's any help, mine had only 4 hours use on it..2011 pre m-tronic. Pretty much as new...got £485 for it plus carriage. I had the option to buy a 2021 model from a customer for £500, so it was a no brainer.

I can't make a comment as to which way you should go re the 400 but at least it gives you an idea of worth for you 261. A decently worded advert and loads of good, clear pictures will help your cause to get a good price.

Different saws different uses best to have both as if ones out of action so you aren't stuck.

Even if you get the ms400 you will still need/want ideally a smaller saw for snedding etc?

For alot of stuff the ms261 would be best  most efficent saw for the job & get more hrs total use?

But depends of the size of the trees you are cutting?

Both a big jump up from the 024 which you sounded happy with.......

I think its always worth having spare saws, particularly at the smaller end.  Its really handy if one is put out of action during the day (you hit something really bad, need to cut out a stuck bar, damage a bar, lose a nut, needs retuning - anything can happen).  Or simply you get tired or need to cut in an awkward spot.

But if I was given a boxfresh saw, I would probably sell it and buy second hand!

9 hours ago, cornishman07 said:

IMG_20230127_075046912.jpg

That 261 looks so desperately sad. Sat in its little box with nothing but a lonely loft to exist in, sharing its tomb with a 1L bottle of chain oil just to tease it with what could've been.

It clearly longs to be out in the woods, felling and snedding from dawn to dusk with a sharp chain and all the fuel it could dream of.

Set it free and let it live the life it was born to live!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends what you're doing. Up to about 12 inch diameter the 261 is more productive, lighter, easier to use. On bigger bits of wood, the 400 increased cut speed will win out.

If you're a climber the 400 is a great saw to have sent up after the 201 runs out of length on the stem, lots of power for the weight. On the other hand someone was on recently who had tried a 400 against a 550xp cutting sweet chestnut coppice, didn't produce any more with the 400 but used 50% more fuel.

This is where you come to the same as every other which saw question - answer is both.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. What a coincidence 90% of them say keep both! I knew that would be the case before I posted! 🤣 

I'm not in the arb business hence being a member here for 7 years and not posting, don't have much to add! It's for general use on the farm so either saw is probably overkill, and keeping both is pure folly!

I've gone ahead and ordered the 400 which I got for £870 with a 20" bar and chain. By the time I claim back the VAT and knock it off my taxable income it'll come in about £450 so if I sell the 261 it should easily cover it and practically be a straight swap. Maybe I should have asked if you just had one saw which would it be? I wont be using it all day or up a tree either so the extra kg of the 400 shouldn't matter too much and most importantly it's bigger and better than my brothers saw!! thanks again for the replies.

• Like 2