Frozen air compressor

Ledburyjosh

Hi,

I left my air compressor on in the garage, which does refill its self a occasionally as it leaks on a joint. I usually switch it off when im not using it.

However, I did not switch it off the last few days and it no longer works, this will be because it tried to re fill whilst something was frozen.

So now I am trying to figure out what broke. Mechanical or electrical?

Has anyone had this problem or fixed similar before?

I've known of compressors not starting against the pressure left in the cylinder, especially if turned off and on at the plug, usually blows a fuse but can burn the motor out. I would certainly guess electrical in your case.

Also sounds like the system may be quite damp inside, have you drained it regularly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

I've known of compressors not starting against the pressure left in the cylinder, especially if turned off and on at the plug, usually blows a fuse but can burn the motor out. I would certainly guess electrical in your case.

Also sounds like the system may be quite damp inside, have you drained it regularly?

never drained it no, and brought it 2nd hand. doubt it ever has been. If i get it running I shall make that a pre winter job in future

Same here, I never leave it full overnight and definitely with the drain left open.

Whilst it might be safe during the daytime when required, if it's not needed it's not on as realistically unless you're a garage who gets them inspected you don't need air 24/7.

3 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

When I worked at a garage we drained the compressor every night when finished work. It's a habit I continue now with the small compressor in the workshop, when I turn it off the drain valve is opened.

I turned the compressor on just to do the van tyres the other day so it had probably 90psi left in it when I was finished. I was going away for a few days so it needed draining. Like an absolute moron, I thought to myself, “I wonder if I can fully undo the drain plug and hang onto it without blasting my fingers off.”

I couldn’t and I was moderately lucky to not be shot by the brass plug. I’ll be equally lucky to find it. 
Idiocy. Knew it was a stupid idea at every stage. Did it anyway. 

Edited by AHPP
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I turned the compressor on just to do the van tyres the other day so it had probably 90psi left in it when I was finished. I was going away for a few days so it needed draining. Like an absolute moron, I thought to myself, “I wonder if I can fully undo the drain plug and hang onto it without blasting my fingers of.”

I couldn’t and I was moderately lucky to not be shot by the brass plug. I’ll be equally lucky to find it. 
Idiocy. Knew it was a stupid idea at every stage. Did it anyway. 

Not idiocy Alex, inquisitive!

• Haha 1