3.5t tippers.

Ty Korrigan

Personally a 10-12 tonner would be excessive given the size of business and type of work we do.

I'm rarely more than 15m from a free tip site and run a 6" chipper and don't often remove the wood so no crane required.

An 8m3 chip box on a compact 7t will mean I'm never overloaded and can access all the places my current truck can.

Local parks dept. runs a 10t hook loader but they often carry soil and gravel.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Not just arbs but every trade.

Builders, barely a pallet of blocks and over the limit plus the earlier post about a truck overloaded with a few young trees and a sack truck.

True, but manufactures make them because people buy them, they really don’t care about what the buyer does with it. Imagine how many sales would be turned down if they actually cared! 

that post of the trees in the truck said it was downplatedfrom 5t - a conscious decision was made to make it near useless

A single cab tranny tipper with original sides is a very useable vehicle to a builder, or log delivery etc. 

It’s when customers get the bright idea that they want to ferry around 6 guys their dog, 6m3 chip, kit locked away, full chapter8, high sides etc that the conscious decision to buy the wrong vehicle has been made.

perhaps we should blame chipper manufacturers? Most 3,5 toners would be just about legal with branches stacked high, but those pesky chippers make everything so much smaller that so much more can be gotten on 😂

I genuinely think it’s great that you’re buying a proper truck 👍 having a clean conscience is worth a lot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I take the 3.5T Iveco on its own to small jobs. If we have a larger amount of arisings I also take the 12ft Ifor high sided tipper behind my Disco 2. Had this on a weigh bridge with 6 inches below the top with conifer chippings and comes in just under 3500kg, by a whisker. Equally, Iveco is legit to pull a well loaded trailer with just brash bags in the chip box.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

that post of the trees in the truck said it was downplatedfrom 5t - a conscious decision was made to make it near useless

If it wasn't for the rules that would be a perfectly usable 5t truck.

Why did someone set the limit at 3.5t? Why not 4.5t? No difference to the trucks.

• Like 1

😆

rules and limits have to be set somewhere 🤷‍♂️

downplating that truck meant the company could run cheaper, use a driver with lower training, undercutting the competition, doubt it was running any sort of tacho, or abiding to drivers hours etc. why not just run legit? 

whys the drink drive limit set where it is?   

some trucks are made differently actually, wether it be for total weight, train weight or towing capacity - can be differences in brakes, axles, diffs, springs, chassis construction etc, even if the body looks the same

Trees aren’t light, just get an appropriate vehicle, rather than a gardeners vehicle 

9 hours ago, josharb87 said:

😆

rules and limits have to be set somewhere 🤷‍♂️

downplating that truck meant the company could run cheaper, use a driver with lower training, undercutting the competition, doubt it was running any sort of tacho, or abiding to drivers hours etc. why not just run legit? 

whys the drink drive limit set where it is?   

some trucks are made differently actually, wether it be for total weight, train weight or towing capacity - can be differences in brakes, axles, diffs, springs, chassis construction etc, even if the body looks the same

Trees aren’t light, just get an appropriate vehicle, rather than a gardeners vehicle 

Haha, gardeners vehicle! Like you said in your earlier post you can easily overload any size vehicle. It's about personal responsibility.

It's what works for the individual business. A bigger vehicle with my set up and work load would be overkill.

12 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Ah I have no problem keeping within the rules, I run 12 foot Bryan James tipper so easy 2t payload with a bit spare which is plenty for what I need.

I still think the arbitrary 3.5t limit is a bit daft and would like to know where it's from.

It probably seemed ample during the days of hand loading, drum brakes and single leaf springs.

I'd say it was due an upgrade. Say 5t with six monthly checks but car license OK and no O-license rubbish so long as only for own goods.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, doobin said:

It probably seemed ample during the days of hand loading, drum brakes and single leaf springs.

I'd say it was due an upgrade. Say 5t with six monthly checks but car license OK and no O-license rubbish so long as only for own goods.

An excellent suggestion. I would add no tachograph, or at least sensible mileage limit from base. I'd even be happy with 3 monthly inspections, or how about at mileage intervals?

On 03/01/2023 at 20:50, Dan Maynard said:

If it wasn't for the rules that would be a perfectly usable 5t truck.

Why did someone set the limit at 3.5t? Why not 4.5t? No difference to the trucks.

There are differences in most vehicles.

My 3500 daily has a smaller Chassis, 4 smaller wheels not 6, different axles  and smaller brakes than my 5.1t.