Battery Chainsaw?

petercb

On 01/01/2023 at 19:39, Macpherson said:

Kind of like the way that NASA spent millions trying to invent a pen that would work in space whereas the Russians just used a pencil.

I might be wrong about the specifics here but I'm fairly certain that shreds of graphite floating around the capsule led to some wiring short circuiting and the firey deaths of a number of crew members, which prompted the Americans to try and solve the problem, and the Soviets to say "ach, no big deal, plenty more astronauts where they came from," an attitude which defined the two different approaches to the space race by the superpowers in question. 

In short, it was a serious problem that absolutely needed to be addressed.

Possibly a problem for the Americans as they used pure oxygen up until quite late on in developments.

Think the Russians realised the dangers of using pure oxygen long before the NASA fireball, along with using pressurised atmospheres making escape almost impossible as the doors opened inwards.

I think they still use pencils still even now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, peds said:

I might be wrong about the specifics here but I'm fairly certain that shreds of graphite floating around the capsule led to some wiring short circuiting and the firey deaths of a number of crew members, which prompted the Americans to try and solve the problem, and the Soviets to say "ach, no big deal, plenty more astronauts where they came from," an attitude which defined the two different approaches to the space race by the superpowers in question. 

In short, it was a serious problem that absolutely needed to be addressed.

Fair point re graphite, but not really the point ... The tech employed by the two different approaches to space flight was remarkably different up until their joint collaborations when at which time the different systems had to be compatible.

In any case the Soviet Space programme { over time } was arguably proven to be a more reliable and safe delivery into orbit system than a lot of what NASA did, after all it's only the recent arrival of Spacex that's knocked them off their top spot of being the only option in the supply of everything to the space station since the last shuttle flight in 2011.

Soyuz may have been a bit agricultural in comparison to the shuttle but nothing wrong with comparative simplicity imo .. and it became very tried and tested over time... 

...anyway wax crayons then😄

Is teacher going to scratch her nails down the chalk board?.

For our more youthful members that was the first interactive whiteboard!. Which on rare occasions had a 3d flying eraser and chalk. It encouraged you to learn by taking part in the discussion, albeit it felt very one sided.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Correct.It was designed to be used with the 300S battery.It is a cool little saw and handy to have by the chipper or for domestic light work although i have made some decent cuts with it. But for me the 161T is the eye opener.I think its ten years that i have been using the 160/161T and is my go to climbing saw for pruning and MANY dismantles and it will power through some good size chogs.It has never let me down.I have a wonderful 200T but if i have my 161T and a 500i on site i'm good for the day...❤🔋🔋

20220803_131908.jpg

On 01/01/2023 at 13:16, Macpherson said:

One of it's best attributes is no noise meaning you don't annoy folk and can work just about anytime you like and if you're near a power supply one battery will charge quicker than the other runs down [ AP300s ] so potentially you can keep going all day with just 2.

If your cutting smaller stuff then yes 2 would be ok.

However if your doing stuff nearer its max you would need 3 or 4 bats to keep up with constant use.

I use mine to trim stuff prior to putting through the processor & the odd max diameter to cut big bent bits into shorter straighter bits.

The latter really takes the bat lift down mainly due to heat build up.

For that 2 bats does me fine. In fact I could even use one putting it back on charge between use.

• Like 1