262xp about to get scatted into the cover

Exmoor Chris

I've got a saw that's kicking my ass.  Mates 262xp had been in a shed for a few years, fuel was obviously rotten. The diaphragm was slack so I rebuilt the carb (not Chinese) new plug, good compression and usual service checks before refuelling and cranking. Should say at this point that I don't think the pot is original, I can't see Mahle stamped anywhere. 

It started on choke but oddly ran on for a few seconds, as soon as the choke is released or the throttle touched it INSTANTLY dies. It did it a few times until I decided to go and chop wood before I launched it. 

What am I missing?

2 minutes ago, Exmoor Chris said:

I've got a saw that's kicking my ass.  Mates 262xp had been in a shed for a few years, fuel was obviously rotten. The diaphragm was slack so I rebuilt the carb (not Chinese) new plug, good compression and usual service checks before refuelling and cranking. Should say at this point that I don't think the pot is original, I can't see Mahle stamped anywhere. 

It started on choke but oddly ran on for a few seconds, as soon as the choke is released or the throttle touched it INSTANTLY dies. It did it a few times until I decided to go and chop wood before I launched it. 

What am I missing?

I think you are missing Spud . @spudulike

Hi Chris...the 262XP is a particularly fine saw, one of THE saws to have come out of Sweden. Just because you can't fix it is down to your abillity and not down to the saws provenance.

The top end marking - ADW will give us the run down after he has finished catching up with The Crown....Downton Abbey is a sore loss to him;)

The top end may not be Mahle but there were some old Huskys using Gilardoni cylinders and pistons and they often keep their provenance secret.

Anyway....the saw fires idles but wont rev out so....you have lack of fuel. This may be down to the carb setting so make sure the H&L screws are set to 1.25 turns out on each. 

The saw is old so do this...replace the fuel line and filter, strip the carb, check the gauze strainer if you haven't already...take it out and inspect, easy to miss scummed up open areas. Make sure the metering arm height is set correctly and that the gaskets and diaphragms are in the right order.....I know you know a reasonable amount so it is probably OK. 

It is worth getting some carb cleaner down the H&L screw holes as the high speed check valve may be sticky.

Lastly...check the tank breather, I have known these block up with age. You usually need to undo the rear AV mounts, take the fuel cap off (empty the fuel tank), get some long nose pliers on the thin black pipe protruding in to the tank and push it out. You can test the breather with a Mityvac before doing this if you have one but these old Huskys often have breather issues - the little white "pill" in the breather assembly gets blocked and this causes the issues.

Goodluck

• Like 2

The 262 was akin to the 254, same crankcase but longer stroke, and different top cover and filter, it would be a Mahl cylinder so should not have bolt on transfer port covers, they did for a period have Teflon crank seals which are very hard and never sealed as well as the rubber seals, so an area to check, if the problem is pretty instant then I would not think tank breather, fuel filter yes, fuel hose yes, badly assembled gaskets and impulse passage blocked maybe, if after market cylinder check the impulse hole in the cylinder does go through to the cylinder, I have seen them not fully drilled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

he 262XP is a particularly fine saw

That's my opinion too. I moved over to them as soon as they became available for my blokes and myself. I still have three working ones ( in various battered states) from when I stopped production forestry twenty years ago.

Mind I prefer to pick the 346 up for most jobs for lightness.

• Like 1