Newbee chainsaw carving

CCxRyan

I'd suggest not painting it or trying a more breathable paint.

Did you also paint the underside of the green by any chance, just thinking if you didn't the next time you might get away with it. As the wood needs to breathe.

Whilst I love Christmas, mostly for the multi coloured lights. It's, erm November!.

Edited by GarethM

Hi sadly carvings will crack but using a timber that’s less prone to cracking try western red cedar or any cedar or redwood relief cuts kinda only work on carvings you can get get away with doing it or on relief carvings as you can put them on the back ,if you are going to paint your carvings use a wood stain instead you can get it in all colours,Keep at it try different products and timbers and you will find the ones that work for you but a lot of us carvers do try and use Cedar as it just doesn’t crack as much as other timbers saying that I have the first Bear I carved he is in my front garden and he is done in cedar but had one crack down his belly another trick is leave your finished carving before treating it let the cracks appear then try and work them in with the texture if the carving will allow for it I must get the carving saw out haven’t carved anything for a long time 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...