Aspen 4 + stihl oil or Motomix?

HDAV

12 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

There have been more than a few 'which oil is the best' topics over the years.

I wouldn't get hung up on it tbh. If you're using a semi synthetic be it Stihl, Husqvarna or another reputable brand then I don't think you can go wrong. 

Just mix it as per the instructions and more importantly don't have it sitting about for more than about a month.

Fair enough but isnt this is a forum?..  I was genuinely interested in hearing other people's opinions on the subject. I'm relatively new here. 

6 hours ago, Johnkv said:

Fair enough but isnt this is a forum?..  I was genuinely interested in hearing other people's opinions on the subject. I'm relatively new here. 

I wasn't having a dig at you I was just saying don't worry about which is the best oil, just use a decent one, mix it correctly and don't let it hang about for too long IMO.

I think it's a good thing to bring these subjects up even if they have been gone over in the past as you never know what someone else can bring to the table or what new information and/or new products are available.

• Like 2

I don't think there's a massive difference between semi and synthetic.

Well it seems a widely held view   that fully synthetic is better and it is marketed as a better product worth paying more for.....

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for EXOL Optima Two Stroke Racing Engine Oil 2T Fully Synthetic...

Bought some of this stuff anyway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

I wasn't having a dig at you I was just saying don't worry about which is the best oil, just use a decent one, mix it correctly and don't let it hang about for too long IMO.

I think it's a good thing to bring these subjects up even if they have been gone over in the past as you never know what someone else can bring to the table or what new information and/or new products are available.

I know that. No bother.. yes agree 100 percent.. thanks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, john87 said:

The BEST oil to use, is whatever the makers tell you to use.. In the manual that came with the machine it will tell you EXACTLY what spec oil to use. Why would you want to do anything different??

john..

No harm In a bit of discussion either, you can't allways believe what they say either.. thanks for the input.. 👍🏻 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, john87 said:

The BEST oil to use, is whatever the makers tell you to use.. In the manual that came with the machine it will tell you EXACTLY what spec oil to use. Why would you want to do anything different??

john..

I've done a lot of research over the Internet, I bought a stihl 500i and yes it recommend stihl motomix, I can't get it for love nor money I don't know why,, another recommended oil in the manual was stihl hp ultra, but the reason was to maintain emissions over the saws working life and not the longevity of the machine. I believe the hp super is a better oil and that's what I'm running.. currently working with aspen 4 mixed with hp super.  Thank you.. 

3 hours ago, Johnkv said:

I've done a lot of research over the Internet, I bought a stihl 500i and yes it recommend stihl motomix, I can't get it for love nor money I don't know why,, another recommended oil in the manual was stihl hp ultra, but the reason was to maintain emissions over the saws working life and not the longevity of the machine. I believe the hp super is a better oil and that's what I'm running.. currently working with aspen 4 mixed with hp super.  Thank you.. 

I use the husqvarna XP2, as it has jaso "FD" oil in it whereas the Stihl motomix stuff has the jaso "FB" in it from what i can work out.

Stihl state their premix stuff has the stihl "HP Ultra" oil, which is jaso "FB" whereas the HP super [That you are using] is jaso "FD" as i expect you have worked out, soooo, you are correct, the "super" is the better oil..

The husqvarna stuff uses the husqvarna "XP" oil, which is jaso "D" which the makers of my machines specify, so that is what i use..

I am like you. The thing not wearing out is my prime consideration..

john..

• Like 1

On 20/03/2023 at 00:24, john87 said:

I use the husqvarna XP2, as it has jaso "FD" oil in it whereas the Stihl motomix stuff has the jaso "FB" in it from what i can work out.

Stihl state their premix stuff has the stihl "HP Ultra" oil, which is jaso "FB" whereas the HP super [That you are using] is jaso "FD" as i expect you have worked out, soooo, you are correct, the "super" is the better oil..

The husqvarna stuff uses the husqvarna "XP" oil, which is jaso "D" which the makers of my machines specify, so that is what i use..

I am like you. The thing not wearing out is my prime consideration..

john..

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.. these things need to be discussed because what the manufacturers are suggesting is in line with the government and the epa green agenda.. every email I received was to approve a fully synthetic oil like hp ultra to maintain emissions limits over the life of the saw.. not to help keep the saw alive for longer.. there you go.. 

• Like 1