What are the rules for felling in the forest?

10 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

The would think the FC would not let you do it with out, you produced the relivent saw tickets, PL insurance and tickets/certificates for the any thing else they can think of, i think the best way forward is forget the FC and go to private land owners, this could be a simple way for you to get a yearly supply of firewood and its supprising what a good bottle of Scotch n a bunch of flowers can get you,

They would not let you do it with the relevant tickets or insurance , if you had the rams or even if you where a contractor for them and they had it all the above on record, it’s just there policy for gleaning a sites.

Hand tools only.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drinksloe said:

I help out/volanteer for a couple of local nature reserves and a community wood, but they all insist on my having tickets.

I do this too, it was really good for me when I first got tickets to get experience, and also make more local contacts. Met lots of interesting people, could get lots of free/cheap wood that way.

If you've time on your hands then get the basic chainsaw ticket and go conservation volunteering, certainly round here there's a shortage of people with tickets.

5 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I do this too, it was really good for me when I first got tickets to get experience, and also make more local contacts. Met lots of interesting people, could get lots of free/cheap wood that way.

If you've time on your hands then get the basic chainsaw ticket and go conservation volunteering, certainly round here there's a shortage of people with tickets.

Must admit i've never had any free wood out of them, just helped them out.

Well 1 i was on the committee for years and the reserve manager/driving force ehind it would think nothing of tackling decent sized timber wit his bushman. Sometimes he would spend hours or days cutting up fallen timber to get paths open that a chain saw would do easily in 10 or 15mins or even a few hours.

2 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Must admit i've never had any free wood out of them, just helped them out.

Well 1 i was on the committee for years and the reserve manager/driving force ehind it would think nothing of tackling decent sized timber wit his bushman. Sometimes he would spend hours or days cutting up fallen timber to get paths open that a chain saw would do easily in 10 or 15mins or even a few hours.

I don't usually bother with wood either as have plenty but the wood from ride side coppicing gets extracted because that is traditional practice and helps keep nutrients low in the soil. It goes various directions, some to volunteers for firewood.

The guy at our local wood always says he was asked to be warden years ago, just because he had a chainsaw. Didn't know much about wildlife at the time, they needed someone to clear the rides and get some light back in.