Which 125 learner bike?

PeteB

The winch has put a bike licence on her bucket list. Going to get some training and stuff before buying a learner 125. My knowledge ended with FS1E and the like! She likes "retro" looking stuff and I would rather put money into something less far east? What do folk recommend? I might even do this myself too!

New or secondhand?  Will it be garaged or have to live outside?

I had a little play with a Yamaha XSR125 not long ago.  It was a really nice bike - with a slightly retro feel.  Not too heavy, could easily flat foot it at a standstill and handled pretty well too.  Good dealer network and they seem to hold their value well secondhand as they are in demand.  I got the equivalent of 130 to the gallon on a short test ride - but the engine was remarkably perky, given the low horsepower.  Could definitely keep up with the traffic in town and not bad out of it.

The Chinese 125s are getting better but I think they still have a little way to come.  Lots of extras - but the durability of parts and fixings can be a problematic if the bike has to live outside and be used in all weathers. 

Keep in mind the cost of decent kit [helmet, jacket, boots, gloves] - as part of the costs - unless you already have them.  And you'll definitely need a decent lock and/or security chain.  That could easily add another few hundred pounds to the bill.

Agree that the KTM Duke is a lovely bike - but the purchase price and smaller dealer network might count against it.  Thing is to try a few - most dealers are pretty helpful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PeteB said:

The winch has put a bike licence on her bucket list. Going to get some training and stuff before buying a learner 125. My knowledge ended with FS1E and the like! She likes "retro" looking stuff and I would rather put money into something less far east? What do folk recommend? I might even do this myself too!

Keep it simple and cheap, look at what the schools are using ie air cooled basic tools. End of the day I’m pretty sure the 125 will be outgrown in no time so the less depreciation the better, and in reality a few hopefully minor drops are to be expected, last thing you want is ludicrous repair bills for basically cosmetic panels etc. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

I have been riding bikes for about 45 years now , and this is my latest !!  I have had plenty of Hondas and they are fantastically reliable .  Like with chainsaws people ask for recommendations then buy some chinese shit which goes wrong quickly !!  

DSCF2114.JPG

An ex girlfriend bought one of those. Fabulous thing. Way better than a Grom.