What Broadband?

PeteB

I've had a pretty good experience with Vodafone. Decent price, 4G backup free, had issues on the line and they kept at Openreach until it was sorted. We have such naff broadband here whoever you go with but fibre is being installed around us at the moment so hope we get more than the 17mbps down 1mpbs up soon! I always found their support stuff pretty good, believe a lot of them are in Egypt and have impeccable American English.

27 minutes ago, Lowestoft Firewood said:

I've had a pretty good experience with Vodafone. Decent price, 4G backup free, had issues on the line and they kept at Openreach until it was sorted. We have such naff broadband here whoever you go with but fibre is being installed around us at the moment so hope we get more than the 17mbps down 1mpbs up soon! I always found their support stuff pretty good, believe a lot of them are in Egypt and have impeccable American English.

+1

Got to admit, I find the whole process of dealing with this a shameful ball ache.mi had been with virgin for 17 odd years but crept up to over £100 pm for basically a single bloke who didn't stream films, games or use landlines etc. Approached them and got fobbed off with the comments "new customer only", "everyone in the house can stream and game at the same time", "no such thing as a loyalty bonus" and I hacked off with unintelligible call centre staff! So I went to BT. They made a rook of promises etc so I gave notice to Virgin and took the day off to await BT. The promised emails and tech calls never happened and so I called him. No answer.....I called the call centre who also discovered that the Techie never answered. His line manager then tells me he isn't coming, at all! They planned an urgent visit for some 4 weeks time......I cancelled and went back to virgin. BT cancelled the deal, apologised and put £20 into the account that I couldn't access for my bother...

Virgin had some issues with the email system, security and trying to get fixed got too much after another year so back to BT. I had a rook of promises made about UK staff, no price hikes, best TV packages etc. But, within a few months, the three TV channels we watched most of had gone to Amazon etc...so I had to subscribe to them! Then the charges went up and the broadband starts to get intermittent!  With the extra TV channels etc, the cost is rising to a point that I'd rather explore just having the subscription channels through rather than a landlines that hasn't even been used in 20 years and BT TV which has lost what I wanted it for!

Vodafone really screwed me around. My mobile contract had been with them for fifteen years and I was keen to take them up on their offer of competitively priced home broadband.

They were supposed to do a working line take over from BT. Due to various elements of their incompetence only part of the switch took place which resulted in BT maintaining billing me for a service that had already been switched to vodafone.

The end result was a debt recovery company being instructed against me by BT for a £200 bill owing. The staff at vodafone were only really able to speak to you from their call centres, there was no way to email or write or to gain a reference number to allow continuity.

A couple of years later I found from checking my credit record that vodafone had been maintaining a presence on there when I had actively not used them due to how terrible they were!

Although not the cheapest I now flip between EE and plusnet because their staff seem to be able to get stuff done in a professional manner and I accept you need to pay a little more for that.

Well, I get about 70mbps with my current package and the one that I am looking at is150mbps, so faster for less money. The conversations on here show just what a mixed bag broadband is at the moment, the main worry is, if you swap what is the continuity of the service going to be like? I for one cannot afford to be without a broadband connection for long. My TV requirements are fully catered for via Freesat by the way, and various financial bodies require me to have a landline.

We found nowtv good, until we moved to next village and they can't do broadband there.  Went with John lewis broadband as their call centre was so easy to deal with... except the wifi hardly reaches out the cupboard the router is in.  Loads of wifi extenders and boosters out there, anyone use one that they'd recommend?

13 minutes ago, NJA said:

We found nowtv good, until we moved to next village and they can't do broadband there.  Went with John lewis broadband as their call centre was so easy to deal with... except the wifi hardly reaches out the cupboard the router is in.  Loads of wifi extenders and boosters out there, anyone use one that they'd recommend?

What's the WiFi like with the router out of the cupboard? I think John Lewis is rebadged Plusnet isn't it. My BT wifi reaches all over the house and about 50' into the gardens as well.

Edited by Deafhead
Addition to text.