Energy Bills

roboted

Energy Bills  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Come October what will your Energy ( Gas, Oil & Electric ) payments, ignoring government subsidies, be as a % of your net income

• 0-5%
    • 6-10%
    • 11-15%
    • 16-20%
    • 21% and above.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/09/22 at 08:08

Last electricity quarter at 33p per kw/hr was low two hundred and something, so even it goes to 40odd as some are predicting we should be able to keep it around or little over 100 per month most months, probably not possible February and March during lambing though.

Also about one and a half medium tanks of propane for the cooker and that's us for the year, everything else is self-produced firewood.

House and yard has all been switched to LED over the past four or five years, even the lambing shed, and workshop has been switched to LED this summer.

Can't do much more now other than pay whatever it is.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, John Skinner said:

£370 a month !! Jeepers that's a lot. I'm £90 per month combined atm and moving up to £193 after Oct 1st (or so they think, and they are wrong). That's in a 3 bed bungalow on the coast; 2 adults. If i was already paying £370 i'd be freaking out, never mind what the potential increases might amount to.

To incorrectly quote dads army: "We're all doomed ... doomed i tells ya" 😂

It's all relative though isn't it. £370 per month is a lot if you take home £2k per month. I don't want to go all 'TriggerAndy' and drag the thread into a conversation about what I earn, but £370 is roughly half my hourly rate. I'll not lose any sleep over our energy bills; I certainly don't think I'm doomed. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

It's all relative though isn't it. £370 per month is a lot if you take home £2k per month. I don't want to go all 'TriggerAndy' and drag the thread into a conversation about what I earn, but £370 is roughly half my hourly rate. I'll not lose any sleep over our energy bills; I certainly don't think I'm doomed. 

Yes. Very true :)

8 minutes ago, John Skinner said:

Yes. Very true :)

In all seriousness, if anyone is going to struggle with their monthly outgoings increasing by a few hundred quid, they are living in a pretty precarious position.

Personally, I think people need to realise 2 things. 

1. Sailing so close to the wind regarding income / expenditure is a recipe for hardship, and 

2. Being able to eat whatever you like, whenever you like, whilst sitting in a t-shirt in January with every light on in the house, whilst clutching your new I phone is a luxury, not a basic necessity. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retired Climber said:

In all seriousness, if anyone is going to struggle with their monthly outgoings increasing by a few hundred quid, they are living in a pretty precarious position.

Depends on there income,No ?

Personally, I think people need to realise 2 things. 

1. Sailing so close to the wind regarding income / expenditure is a recipe for hardship, and 

2. Being able to eat whatever you like, whenever you like, whilst sitting in a t-shirt in January with every light on in the house, whilst clutching your new I phone is a luxury, not a basic necessity. 

^^^^^ See above.

1- Pensions are fixed income, therefore  belt tightened 

2- Bollox see above. Not many In my position strive for that.

11 minutes ago, roboted said:

^^^^^ See above.

1- Pensions are fixed income, therefore  belt tightened 

2- Bollox see above. Not many In my position strive for that.

I don't agree with the 'poor pensioners' agenda. They have had their entire working lives to prepare for their retirement. If they have failed to prepare, they should expect for their twilight years to be a bit of a struggle. I'm very much a fan of everyone taking responsibility for themselves. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

I don't agree with the 'poor pensioners' agenda. They have had their entire working lives to prepare for their retirement. If they have failed to prepare, they should expect for their twilight years to be a bit of a struggle. I'm very much a fan of everyone taking responsibility for themselves. 

If you retired, say, 15 years ago, were you supposed to have predicted brexit, covid, putins 'military exercise' and the impending doom

Edited by Con
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Con said:

Those sort of prices could easily be 20% of some peoples income. Thankfully for you, not yours, but there are people in that situation. 

I'm aware of that. I agree it must be tough, and a difficult position in which to find oneself. 

I'm going to find it very difficult to defend my opinion on such matters without upsetting someone, so I think I'll quit whilst I'm ahead (or only slightly behind). 

• Like 1