Controlling movement in Milled slabs.

arboriculturist

I sit the cut boards on pallets.  I put spacers down, evenly every 18 inches. Then a ratchet strap ontop of each spacer.   I think it is important that all the spacers are lined up and on top of each other, so that the force of the ratchet is transmitted through the spacers.  I tighten every couple of months. Works OK, but I still get the odd surprising bendy one.  I have no idea if this is right or could be improved.  No two boards are the same and you can only dry them once!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Wow, what a product range - not sure exactly what I would choose - any tips ?

This is basically what you need - maybe not this exact strap - as I said I would strongly recommend woven strapping.  

WWW.KITEPACKAGING.CO.UK

Corded polyester strapping kits for heavy duty applications. Light, friendly alternative to steel strapping. Online ordering with FREE UK delivery available.

I do suggest weights though if feasible.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

This is basically what you need - maybe not this exact strap - as I said I would strongly recommend woven strapping.  

WWW.KITEPACKAGING.CO.UK

Corded polyester strapping kits for heavy duty applications. Light, friendly alternative to steel strapping. Online ordering with FREE UK delivery available.

I do suggest weights though if feasible.

That's a nice kit thanks.

Using weight what are we talking for an 18" diameter Oak stem slabbed at 2 1/4" ?

4 Oak railway sleepers on top or similar ?

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

That's a nice kit thanks.

Using weight what are we talking for an 18" diameter Oak stem slabbed at 2 1/4" ?

4 Oak railway sleepers on top or similar ?

I would say the best weight to go on a pack is another pack.  If you can go three packs high then only the top pack is not weighted.  When I say a pack I mean about a ton of freshly milled timber.

Edited by Squaredy
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Yes, 3 high is my plan. So perhaps 4 sleepers on the very top should be sufficient.

Well, that won’t be much weight in the top, but most of the stack will be well weighted.

The other factor of course ifs log quality.  A knotty or bendy log is going to produce timber that will distort more than a clean straight log.  Also some species are more prone to move.  Cedar of Lebanon (and other relatives) are super stable.  Oak and beach will move all over the place!

27 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Well, that won’t be much weight in the top, but most of the stack will be well weighted.

The other factor of course ifs log quality.  A knotty or bendy log is going to produce timber that will distort more than a clean straight log.  Also some species are more prone to move.  Cedar of Lebanon (and other relatives) are super stable.  Oak and beach will move all over the place!

4 sleepers not much weight - so would you recommend - I could use 12 and ratchet the top stack ?

After all the effort of milling I am keen to produce as high a quality product as possible. 😀

8 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

4 sleepers not much weight - so would you recommend - I could use 12 and ratchet the top stack ?

After all the effort of milling I am keen to produce as high a quality product as possible. 😀

Well as doobin said pallets with aggregate on top.  Or as you said strap them and keep tightening the straps.