Controlling movement in Milled slabs.

arboriculturist

Up to now I have just been weighting timber to reduce the movement in milled slabs, as so many get ruined as timber moves.

I'm planning on an easier way to do this and intend to use Pallet banding.

There are 3 options of banding material with various widths.  Metal, Polyester and Polypropylene.

Not so keen on the metal as its not so pleasant to work with, but maybe this is the one to use ?

Any suggestions on which material and width of band would be much appreciated.

Edited by arboriculturist

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

A problem with banding is that unless there is some elasticity in the band any shrinkage causes loss of tension.

Ah, that's a very good point. So the only banding with any elasticity is Polypropylene.

That and probably careful monitoring and driven wedges to keep banding tight - just like they do when they braze the ribs onto shotgun barrels.

What do you think ?

1 minute ago, arboriculturist said:

Can you re-use the banding if timber stored away from daylight ?

Which banding do you find the best - material / width ? Thanks

I personally don’t use banding. I’ve been using cargo straps. I’ve used banding at work though. Both metal and plastic. Is it worth reusing old banding? I can’t see how it’s worth it really. 

10 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I personally don’t use banding. I’ve been using cargo straps. I’ve used banding at work though. Both metal and plastic. Is it worth reusing old banding? I can’t see how it’s worth it really. 

Ratchet cargo straps must be great if you have plenty as easily adjusted, maybe not for me this time as have 20 trees to do.

What spacing is generally good for 18" trees ? I'm thinking 1 each end then 3ft spacing approx. ?

Look at Cordstrap. You can keep using the strap and the buckles and can re-tighten them, but it will cost you a couple of hundred to get started.  If you go with this use the woven strap not the cheaper type as this is so difficult to handle.  16mm width is fine for what you are doing.

WWW.CORDSTRAP.COM

Cordstrap has over 50 years experience of protecting the world’s cargo. Our global network of experts ensure that cargo reaches its destination undamaged.

Weights are better though as they do not need adjusting. 

When I get a slab badly cup I usually just slice it up the middle and sell it as two boards.  Depends who your customers are I suppose!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Look at Cordstrap. You can keep using the strap and the buckles and can re-tighten them, but it will cost you a couple of hundred to get started.  If you go with this use the woven strap not the cheaper type as this is so difficult to handle.  16mm width is fine for what you are doing.

WWW.CORDSTRAP.COM

Cordstrap has over 50 years experience of protecting the world’s cargo. Our global network of experts ensure that cargo reaches its destination undamaged.

Weights are better though as they do not need adjusting. 

When I get a slab badly cup I usually just slice it up the middle and sell it as two boards.  Depends who your customers are I suppose!

Wow, what a product range - not sure exactly what I would choose - any tips ?

Going back to weighting. I can stack individual stickered Oak trees say 3 high when 18" dia. - milled at 2 and 3" slabs - what weight would you have on top for that configuration or would you stack differently.

I can do whatever is most efficient as we have a forklift 2.5 tonne lift all terrain to handle everything. Thanks.

•