Pruning silver birch

CABennett

56 minutes ago, CABennett said:

Great advice, thanks. The owner has named the cottage Silver Birch, so removing its isn't an option. I'll advise her about the cycle of extra maintenance and progressive reductions and she might change her mind. If I go ahead,I'll take less of the tops out than my line showed. It would be a shame to damage it. because they're very fond of the trees.

Cheers

Colin

She could always re name the cottage Ex Silver Birch . 🙂

11 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Silver birch can be pruned no problem….

….They do bleed a bit in spring…

…important to go back to live growth…

…the blind end sometimes just dies…

…You will get rot pockets…

…usually reprune to previous cuts maybe 3 times before either coming back underneath to start a new cycle or a complete removal…

Good job.

Can stand it when people pre-occupy themselves with piffling details.

• Like 1

Our village has silver birch all round it, our neighbours have one in the front garden, those seeds get everywhere....car, inside, bathroom ventilation, window frames even the bloke servicing the car commented on the explosion on removing the air conditioning filter on the car, The leaves are just as bad and as for those sodding catkins in the spring....who invented such an annoying species;)

I can sympathize with the customer and would cut the thing down at the base given an option.....and I like a nice tree!!! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Our village has silver birch all round it, our neighbours have one in the front garden, those seeds get everywhere....car, inside, bathroom ventilation, window frames even the bloke servicing the car commented on the explosion on removing the air conditioning filter on the car, The leaves are just as bad and as for those sodding catkins in the spring....who invented such an annoying species;)

I can sympathize with the customer and would cut the thing down at the base given an option.....and I like a nice tree!!! 

Its the same where I am Steve . Those little seeds even get in my bed . Its kinda normal for me now .

• Sad 1

Just now, Stubby said:

Its the same where I am Steve . Those little seeds even get in my bed . Its kinda normal for me now .

I'm moving!! Not because of the trees but thought I would swerve it this year but the feckers are dropping early. I have driven 100 miles and opened the car boot....it is like a shower of those fecking little seeds and all of them ending up in my car.

Go in to our bathrooms and turn the fan on....more of the feckers, leave the windows on the latch.....you've guessed it......Grrrrrr

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

If you do do it , in the spring , collect the sap and have drink . 👍

This is possibly the best bit of advice so far. My grandfather used to make birch sap wine. I've found memories of going off into the woods with him armed with a brace and bit, a demijohn and a length of rubber tubing.

• Like 1