Looking for stove fan recommendations

It seems there are mixed opinions on stove fans...some like them and say they are effective, some don't and say they are a waste of time/money.

Given the location of my burner (in recessed fireplace), I've decided to try one...so this isn't a "should I or shouldn't 

I" thread, I'm just looking for recommendations, ideally based on personal experience.

There appear to be many, many options  with various different price points...are the cheaper ones any good? Or are they cheap because they don't really work?

I've had a look at the Ecofan range but they're horribly expensive...how come they cost so much? Is the extra cost worth it? 

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

31 minutes ago, slicendice73 said:

It seems there are mixed opinions on stove fans...some like them and say they are effective, some don't and say they are a waste of time/money.

Given the location of my burner (in recessed fireplace), I've decided to try one...so this isn't a "should I or shouldn't 

I" thread, I'm just looking for recommendations, ideally based on personal experience.

There appear to be many, many options  with various different price points...are the cheaper ones any good? Or are they cheap because they don't really work?

I've had a look at the Ecofan range but they're horribly expensive...how come they cost so much? Is the extra cost worth it? 

Thanks

Is your Amazon account suspended? 

3 hours ago, slicendice73 said:

Thanks

As you specifically asked for recommendations. I got mine from Aldi about 5 years ago, it's still going strong. I can't remember exactly but it was < £30 I think. It doesn't seem to be available anymore but you could try a similarly low priced fan as a trial to decide whether they work or not. I know people with much more expensive examples but am still undecided as to their effectiveness!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sime42 said:

As you specifically asked for recommendations. I got mine from Aldi about 5 years ago, it's still going strong. I can't remember exactly but it was < £30 I think. It doesn't seem to be available anymore but you could try a similarly low priced fan as a trial to decide whether they work or not. I know people with much more expensive examples but am still undecided as to their effectiveness!

Thanks for the info 👍

Have to admit, I was definitely erring towards a cheaper option, so if it doesn't actually make that much difference to the heat distribution, it's no great loss. 

• Like 1

The twin turbo flue mounted fans are actually quite good; and silent. I'm in a 3 bed bungalow with a stove in the kitchen at the back of the house. I fitted 2x 8" twin turbos (to the single wall flue section) and they push the warm air all the way from the back of the house to the lounge/bedrooms at the front. Ordered mine on Ebay from China at a 3rd of the price you buy then in UK stock. They arrived in 14/15 days; excellent quality. They also do stove-top models.

As an alternative, as has already been said, use a simple electric desk/clip-on fan to push the warm air. Home Bargains (if you have one near you) have 9", 12" and 20" fans for around £12-£18 atm.

I'm going the whole hog this winter. I'm going to wrap some flexible steel 6" duct around the stove, then couple this to a 6" inline blower. This I will couple ten metres of normal plastic flexi duct to, and suspend up the banisters to the top of the house.

Will look gash but so would the gas bill otherwise.

1 hour ago, John Skinner said:

The twin turbo flue mounted fans are actually quite good; and silent. I'm in a 3 bed bungalow with a stove in the kitchen at the back of the house. I fitted 2x 8" twin turbos (to the single wall flue section) and they push the warm air all the way from the back of the house to the lounge/bedrooms at the front. Ordered mine on Ebay from China at a 3rd of the price you buy then in UK stock. They arrived in 14/15 days; excellent quality. They also do stove-top models.

As an alternative, as has already been said, use a simple electric desk/clip-on fan to push the warm air. Home Bargains (if you have one near you) have 9", 12" and 20" fans for around £12-£18 atm.

Got a link?

4 minutes ago, doobin said:

Got a link?

You're best to shop around the various offers and deals that are going at the time, as they change so much every day.

Just because they say £X price, doesn't mean they will only sell at that price. Always message with an offer price. Also if you are buying more than one, they will drop the list price on both. Often, if you just add to your watch list, you'll then get a much better offer in from them on a private message. That's what i got, and negotiated from there; reduced price for one, then made an offer on a further reduced price for two.

Just search for 20cm/8" twin 8 blade stove fan. Either "hanging" "flue mount" or "stove-top" depending on what you want.

You can obviously go for multiples of the larger single 4-5 blade fans. But those were too bulky/obtrusive for my needs. These are the same size/colour as the flue pipe and blend in well.

It's not a massive push of air like you get from a cold air desktop fan, so don't expect that. It's more of a constant channel of warm air moving through the house.

• Like 1