New Harness for old Willans user.

Mesterh

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people suffer the aled jones experience, but that is because you're wearing the leg loop harnesses wrong. They're meant to sit on your waist like trousers, but i've seen so many people hike up their belt around their bellyand then ratchet up the strap tight. If you do this, then you'll end up sounding like wacko jacko when you call for your top handle.

They're meant to sit on your waist like trousers, but i've seen so many people hike up their belt around their bellyand then ratchet up the strap tight. If you do this, then you'll end up sounding like wacko jacko when you call for your top handle.

To true, I found that once you trap a testicle once you either learn to avoid it or end up disliking the harness.

I think the new revised Dragonfly is worth a punt, with adjustable center of balance, new rope style bridge and redesigned backpad which is designed to sit much lower like the Treeflex and motion harnesses.

The Butterfly 2 also has the new back pad, bridge and adjustability.

Looks like its time to hang up the good old willans (T22) , Well it has served me for over 12 years :proud:

Cheers

I think that your harness should have been binned years ago its was well past the sell by date in any LOLER inspection.

I went from willans to Komet butterfly MK1 with a hard seat. That works fine for me. But as they say try before you buy.

The Tree Austria 1&2 both have an attachable /removable seat pannel for those times when you are sitting and quickly un clip when you want a standard harness.

If you like the TreeFlex, Dragonfly or Butterfly look for the Skylotec "Kolibri" with sliding bridge wide weight spreading back support sliding leg loops with wide pads, side D's and loads of tool loops.

I wish harnesses like this were around when I was climbing as my back is nackered.

First a big thanks to everyone for all the information and advice given. (very much appreciated):proud:

Second I've got a new harness now, a Treeflex :icon14:

Tried it out today, well sort of, if you count taking down a 25 foot leylandii:laugh: Allthough it was blowing a gale so that must account for something (just wanted to get it dirty tbh, new gear makes you look like a newbie)

Seems alot more comfortable than i was expecting no squashed crown jewels thank god:scared: but allthough it looks very well constructed i doubt if it will last 12 years like the willans, loler inspection or not.

I'd prefer a bit heavy/more durable webbing and add an extra bit more weight than go for super lightweight but thats just my opinion and im sure most of the new designs follow the same lightweight design.

Anyhow thanks again and i hope i dont change my mind when it comes to a real bit of tree surgeory!

Cheers