Arb body on a budget

wjotner

I've just bought a new (used) tipper truck. Nice little retro Isuzu NKR. Needs an arb body built into the existing tipper bed.

My budget to do this right now is very limited (like £2k max). I'd like a basic steel framed body with a flat fixed roof covering a 3rd of the top. Then I'll either fix ally planks, sheets, or plywood onto the frame depending on how much it cost to get the frame on.

What can people recommend as strong, reliable, unfussy materials to use when you don't have several grand to splash of a posh arb body?

I would have done a few things differently, but it’s lasted well and doesn’t look too pikey.

Don’t remember exact costs maybe 1k for the stuff and 400 quid for the welder bloke, and his materials.

Van is 2008 and has just past another MOT.

So 2 more years hopefully.

Transits are bloody brilliant. 

70554073-1251-4AD9-9836-37F6FB064EEB.jpeg

872F412D-0BE4-43E0-ADB9-CE5F6B326DC9.jpeg

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Thanks 1

Here's the last Iveco I converted myself. Box section frame sides bolted to original corner posts. Top welded to sides. White outer sheeting is Di-bond from Amari Plastics ( Aluminium / plastic composite, available in various sizes, thickness and colours ) Top and inner sheeting is alloy, stronger than the Di-bond. Headboard is alloy backed by strong ply. Barn doors covered with Di-bond. Built to catch chip with no overspill, open one barn door, both or chip over the top, depending on wind and which chipper your using. As someone said to me ''It looks a bit like something from the wacky races'' but it works as intended.

Air bag kit added to rear axle and engine remapped to 180 hp.

Arb body cost me £ 1 k for materials and 6 or 7 days in time.   Air bag kit was £ 600 and remap was 4 ton of softwood!

20201030_144812.jpg

20201105_141344.jpg

20201126_150028.jpg

20201126_161350.jpg

20210420_160128.jpg

• Like 3

Nice. Very handy if you have all that space and kit and skills to make that stuff by yourself. I don't have that option unfortunately. I've decided to get someone to build a steel frame for me to bolt panels to. Seems the most cost effective way for me.

1 hour ago, waz77 said:

A few years ago but the materials for this cost around £1500, plus hydraulic pack, I'd been quoted £6500 to have one built the same so did it myself in about 5 daysIMG_20200921_193850_473.jpg.710a7fafd2bdf2739ba0e3ce878285c4.jpg

I've driven through Penistone fifty times and always noticed the very smart barn and the logs for sale signs. I don't suppose that's you is it?

Edited by AHPP

11 hours ago, AHPP said:

I've driven through Penistone fifty times and always noticed the very smart barn and the logs for sale signs. I don't suppose that's you is it?

No mate, I live up on the moors now, Penistone was getting too overpopulated for me 😂