Best pinless moisture meter

AJStrees

Looking to get a decent moisture metre. Got the Stihl one with pins at moment but believe the sensor types will give a much more accurate moisture percent within the timber.

There are probably lots of past posts on this but can’t find them.

Any ideas or opinions welcome (as long as they are constructive) 🤣 [emoji106]

10 hours ago, AJStrees said:

Looking to get a decent moisture metre. Got the Stihl one with pins at moment but believe the sensor types will give a much more accurate moisture percent within the timber.

There are probably lots of past posts on this but can’t find them.

Any ideas or opinions welcome (as long as they are constructive) 🤣 emoji106.png

I have a pin version that came with my stove . I never use it coz I godda burn what I got regardless  . Obviously I do my best to season my logs but at the end of the day .......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stere said:

Google just gave me 2 slightly conflicting info /search results  on pin v pinless with regarded to accuracy.

Not sure they are better?

Yeah, not sure to be fair but from what I understand the sensor ones give you a better reading of the middle of the timber. This is mostly for milled boards rather than firewood. :thumbup1:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I have a pin version that came with my stove . I never use it coz I godda burn what I got regardless  . Obviously I do my best to season my logs but at the end of the day .......

I see what you mean. Yeah for firewood, I have piles of the stuff on our estate which I am happy to get rid of, its been sitting for a while now and not under cover, just basically a pile of cut up logs. shame to waste it. I don't have use for firewood much. 

2 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Yeah, not sure to be fair but from what I understand the sensor ones give you a better reading of the middle of the timber. This is mostly for milled boards rather than firewood. :thumbup1:

Ah , Sorry AJ . Now I understand bud . 👍

1 minute ago, AJStrees said:

I see what you mean. Yeah for firewood, I have piles of the stuff on our estate which I am happy to get rid of, its been sitting for a while now and not under cover, just basically a pile of cut up logs. shame to waste it. I don't have use for firewood much. 

Not got a stove ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

No stove. Got some fire places but use them infrequently. Not enough to keep piles of wood busy though. 

Yea but , surely ..... If you got it available and for free its a no brainer ?  Not telling you what to do and that but can't understand why you don't ....?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Yea but , surely ..... If you got it available and for free its a no brainer ?  Not telling you what to do and that but can't understand why you don't ....?

You bring up a good point. Don't want to rush these things though. To be fair. It's on the list for some time in the future. I don't want to offend the stove community. 

• Haha 1