Ecodesign stoves

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

And all the other points or is it something you'd rather just ignore? 

No I am not ignoring anything and have every intention of having it professionally fitted when installed and nearly everything is in place. I just don't understand the comment that it is knackered when many stoves last years and years and this is when being used which this one has clearly been stored for a number of years? The make is known for top quality and its efficiency is rated at 80% burn ..I am just a bit disappointed if I have wasted my time and money. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dee Knight said:

No I am not ignoring anything and have every intention of having it professionally fitted when installed and nearly everything is in place. I just don't understand the comment that it is knackered when many stoves last years and years and this is when being used which this one has clearly been stored for a number of years? The make is known for top quality and its efficiency is rated at 80% burn ..I am just a bit disappointed if I have wasted my time and money. 

Thats the point though, I cant see you getting a professional to install it or sign off on a used Stove that is potentially sixteen years old. In their eyes it will be considered a knackered old Stove regardless if you take the hump over that description or not. 

Up here in Scotland the rules are a little different and you can install yourself without a HETAS Engineer signing it off. You'll not be covered for any warranty claims if the Stove is new (like I did) And I think its a bit of a grey area if you'll be covered by your insurance if it causes a fire. 

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

You're also in Scotland, different rules. 

My neighbours have one as do others in the area and read for £40 they come and check it and issue a certificate. We are not in a controlled area . Although I will definitely check this all out. I will also ask a professional to help with the last bits..sealing and testing etc. It will be a twin wall system.  

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Thats the point though, I cant see you getting a professional to install it or sign off on a used Stove that is potentially sixteen years old. In their eyes it will be considered a knackered old Stove regardless if you take the hump over that description or not. 

Up here in Scotland the rules are a little different and you can install yourself without a HETAS Engineer signing it off. You'll not be covered for any warranty claims if the Stove is new (like I did) And I think its a bit of a grey area if you'll be covered by your insurance if it causes a fire. 

Are you saying that they only sign off brand new ones ? Isn't it like an mot which looks at the condition..this is getting worse lol ..I might have to build a shed to put it in haha

Just now, Dee Knight said:

Are you saying that they only sign off brand new ones ? Isn't it like an mot which looks at the condition

As I said I am not qualified to say what a HETAS installer would do but there are parallels in the forestry work  I used to do where members of a trade body for hydraulic pipe would not repair an old pipe that had burst due to chafing but one could still buy  fittings  to do the repair oneself for a fraction of the price of the new hose and still be lawful in use.

The building regulations to do with stoves all look very sensible to me with regards to materials and distances from combustible materials, plus of course the CO monitor, that I would follow them.

Other things like house owner's permission, certification and insurance  need to be considered.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

And all the other points or is it something you'd rather just ignore? 

d00799dd63f8ca68da3bc29e4458aedd.0.jpg

• Like 1

I thought that building control signed them off if the installation met the requirements of part J of the building regs?

I had them signed off before no problem, but it was a while back.

Maybe ecodesign stoves are incorporated building regs now?

(I have also had stoves HETAS installed, and the installers have incorporated some ‘engineering solutions’ that I would never have considered).

When I was a younger man, I did ‘install’ an aga into the fireplace of a house I was renting…… the landlady went  proper apesh’t,….. possibly with good reason.

• Like 2

I wish I had a chimney as that looks very easy with just blocking plates and flexi flue..although the space I have for the twist lock twin flue to go is very suitable as literally goes straight through the centre of the house and through the roof with a good foot all the way round away from the pipe. It will be secured all the way up and I have a lead flashing for the roof..storm cowl etc..it will be caged with chicken wire in the loft and a grill shall cover the whole of the second floor section which is in an open cupboard in the hall...one large square hole will be cut in the top of the wall downstairs for the first section of twin wall to go through..and the stove will be well away from a fireproofed wall. I am looking into everything before people think I am tge sort to just light a fire in a house x

• Confused 1