Is Arbing For Me

WTTJ

Hi, new poster

So I currently work a 4 on, 4 off shift pattern. However many of my colleagues work on their days off as trades people. I've so far simply enjoyed my days off, and my modest salary was more than enough. However with the cost of living increasing, I've started looking at potential trades. As I've always loved climbing, and have some experience in rope work, I'm considering getting my tree surgery tickets.

Is this something you think would be possible, within my shift pattern? For example, is day sub-contracting a normal practice, or do employers tend to demand full time commitment? 

Thanks for any responses

Plenty of people use freelance climbers or ground staff. The thing is, most people go the freelance route after they have been in the industry a few years so there will generally be an expectation from employees that you have a certain level of skill, particularly if you’re are selling yourself as a climber.

If you are a competent person with a good degree of common sense and a good work ethic then you’ll have no trouble at all filling your days, you’ll just need to manage your expectations initially with what rates you can charge, and above all be honest with potential customers what your experience level is.  Good luck 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WTTJ said:

Hi, new poster

So I currently work a 4 on, 4 off shift pattern. However many of my colleagues work on their days off as trades people. I've so far simply enjoyed my days off, and my modest salary was more than enough. However with the cost of living increasing, I've started looking at potential trades. As I've always loved climbing, and have some experience in rope work, I'm considering getting my tree surgery tickets.

Is this something you think would be possible, within my shift pattern? For example, is day sub-contracting a normal practice, or do employers tend to demand full time commitment? 

Thanks for any responses

A good mate of mine ran a forestry business on his days off while working as a copper. 

There's no reason at all why you shouldn't get your tickets and crack on. Scout about local firms, explain your shift patterns and come to a mutually beneficial agreement. Best of luck with it. 

Given that we are staring down the barrel of a bitch of a recession, if you’re going to learn a trade then I’d learn one that will still be in demand. Mechanics, drains etc. Forced purchases. 

A lot of subby climbers will be chasing other work when hard times hit, work dries up and firms look to slim down staff numbers. There is a lot of disguised employment in Arb, and it will soon be apparent what the downsides to the higher day rate are vs being and employee. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, doobin said:

There is a lot of disguised employment in Arb, and it will soon be apparent what the downsides to the higher day rate are vs being and employee. 

‘Disguised employment’

Very good way of putting it, and very true.

To the OP.

Try working as a groundy for a while on your days off, get a feel for the business and earn a few quid at the same time, plus building contacts.

If you’re still keen you can start training and all that.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

I've done the same for 25 years , 4 on 4 off , it's been great over the years but it becomes very hard trying to cram work in as you become busier and busier, although I do tend to pick the nice jobs now and pass on the ivy covered shite with bad attitude nieghbours 😁

• Like 1