Land mapping resource

Guest Gimlet

Guest Gimlet

Can anyone point me to a simple mapping app/website I can use for hedgerow surveying? 

I just need a field map of farms (with enclosure names ideally) so that I can zero in online, save and print. Sounds simple but nothing I've found so far is really ideal. the old OS online maps which you could print off at will would have been ideal but you can't do that anymore.  

I really need to go in close so I can annotate each field boundary in detail as required and supply copies to landowners and stewardship agents.

I've used brilliant maps before that farm clients have supplied themselves, but they tend to be downloads from their satellite systems and printed on A3. I could do with a free to use online system so I can zone in on any land anywhere. I don't mind buying an A3 printer if I have to  

I'm using Magic DEFRA at the moment but I find it a bit clunky and not that user-friendly.

MAGIC.DEFRA.GOV.UK

Guest Gimlet

That's quite good but as far as I can see mapping only goes up to the year 2000. Where I'm looking there's been two housing estates built since then..

26 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

So the free ones are not good, and the good ones are not free?

I pay the OS map subscription, for having the proper OS map of wherever I go in the country (in my pocket) and being able to print pages off I reckon £25 a year is good value.

Does that get you better than 1:25k? I have the leisure map subscription but don't have access to any larger scale mapping.

Depending on how well you know your way around a computer:

1) Download QGIS: 

2) Spend some time reading/watching online tutorials that explain how to do what you want to do with QGIS and OS OpenData.

3) Download the OS OpenData map you require, 'Zoomstack' is up to 1:10,000 scale:

WWW.ORDNANCESURVEY.CO.UK

Support for OS Open Zoomstack including frequently-asked questions, user guide, release note and other useful...
OSDATAHUB.OS.UK

4) If you wanted to you could export the area you need as a geo-referenced 'DXF' file, which can be handy.

All the above is free.

Edited by Mark J
1:10,000 scale.

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Google Earth lets you fly anywhere on Earth to view satellite imagery, maps, terrain and 3D buildings, from galaxies in...

Zoom into the site location, go to File menu, then Print, select A3 from the top drop-down menu at the top of the page.

Write on and stick white stickers to the map to annotate boundaries/field names/specs etc.

You can also save the current screenshot so that you can open the image as a pdf and annotate it that way but stickers will do the job.

image.thumb.png.b65c53dff06c487712e1dbd70eff1cca.png
image.thumb.png.202696b012be7ae7fc057af8e569a4a9.png

image.thumb.png.4fc6c47f81ea8dbb8b79816c8ad2b364.png

Edited by Mark J