Conversion to multi fuel

On 11/04/2022 at 15:47, Rob_the_Sparky said:

If you are short on cash but have a saw and axe then, as you are I think, getting arisings and processing them ASAP so they can dry ready for next winter.  Just don't underestimate how many you need for a season, it will be more than you think.

Oh and don't go spending cash on log racks, they can be made for the cost of some nails/screws (as preferred) from pallets (and in my case old fence posts).  You just need some sort of roof, again can be made from free pallet wood but I prefer the clear plastic I have on my latest one.

Hi thanks, yeah I already have a log store and usually buy my logs in May for the coming winter, as I intend using the stove more it’s a good idea to see if I can collect some of my own too but they probably wouldn’t be dry enough to burn this year 

On 10/04/2022 at 20:49, neiln said:

There are also grades of smokeless designed for item fires, and these will burn cooler and slower, needing lots of air, and leaving lots of ash.  You may never had this by the sounds of it.

Yes you may be right 

Hi thanks, yeah I already have a log store and usually buy my logs in May for the coming winter, as I intend using the stove more it’s a good idea to see if I can collect some of my own too but they probably wouldn’t be dry enough to burn this year 

See if you can find some Spruce. You can almost see the water evaporating off the logs.

52 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

See if you can find some Spruce. You can almost see the water evaporating off the logs.

Yes softwoods may start with a higher moisture content but then dry much faster, given given good airflow in the store.

You will need about 1.5 times the volume stacked of softwood compared with a dense hardwood like beech, oak or ash so you will be feeding the stove more frequently and remember to split the wood as rounds with bark on hold onto the moisture.

• Like 2

Yes softwoods may start with a higher moisture content but then dry much faster, given given good airflow in the store.

You will need about 1.5 times the volume stacked of softwood compared with a dense hardwood like beech, oak or ash so you will be feeding the stove more frequently and remember to split the wood as rounds with bark on hold onto the moisture.

All good points. But Cathy is looking for logs that will be ready for the Stove this year. Spruce will be ready in 2 months in the right conditions.
  • Like 1

Sycamore is a good bet if you can find any of that. There's masses around, it's a "weed tree" really, so you should be able to source some.
It's kind of a half way house between soft and hard wood; dries much more quickly than Oak but doesn't burn as fast as most softwoods.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, sime42 said:

Sycamore is a good bet if you can find any of that. There's masses around, it's a "weed tree" really, so you should be able to source some.
It's kind of a half way house between soft and hard wood; dries much more quickly than Oak but doesn't burn as fast as most softwoods.

Thank you for this, I will try to source some

8 hours ago, Cath11 said:

Thank you for this, I will try to source some

Sycamore is THE least labor intensive fire wood going IMHO . As said seasons relatively quickly ,  spits lemon squeeze , burns like ash or beech pretty much .  I would have it all day and twice on Sunday  if that helps .

• Like 2

Take the bark off to make it dry quicker.....I tend to put the bigger pieces on top of my log piles as roof tiles, keeps it drier and of course, once dry the bark burns quite well too. Little pieces are in a pile by the tiny pond in the wood for the toad to live in

• Like 3

Sycamore is THE least labor intensive fire wood going IMHO . As said seasons relatively quickly ,  spits lemon squeeze , burns like ash or beech pretty much .  I would have it all day and twice on Sunday  if that helps .

Very interesting. Not had much to do with it but I’ve a few tons in the yard. Some logs I could mill but I’m fuel hungry right now.

These Beech logs would have been crackers milled but needs must 🤣

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg
  • Like 1