Stihl 038 AVS Farm Boss (late ‘80s) worth saving?

Just_Alex

Just now, Ratman said:

I’ve never used one, i just tend to pry in places that dont cause harm and use the aid of a vice along with a small copper hammer, but i’m just rough! 🤠 (sure Spud’s gona go all fury on me and call me a wanker for doing so emoji16.png) but i just take my time and use a bit of patience. You can buy the chinese splitting tool for peanuts but never seen one in action or felt one so can’t comment. Just do what you feel comfortable with, and if your unsure then do what your doing now and just ask away, someone will have an idea or answer for ya.

You my old mucker are a wanker....I made a splitter and also some kindly gent gave me one like in the pic!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I would really avoid splitting the cases. It is worth checking there is no play in the crankshaft but if there is, throw the towel in.

Me too, I'm all up for replacing a piston  and recovering the bore on an antique but once you have to delve into the crankcase...

BTW I have never split a chainsaw crankcase other than to see what's inside.

3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Not without looking it up. Suzuki and others were chrome plating their GT380/750 etc in the 80S, not sure about saws TBH.

Yes chrome plated aluminium cylinders were common on bikes and I assume saws in the 70s, I just wondered when nikasil bores became common

I just thought if you are going to do it, then do bearings and seals, if nothing else good experience if the chap is going to look after his own machines, I agree if the crank is shot it’s probably done, but once apart and bits cleaned up he may get his money back selling the good parts, I see it all the time, old machines taken in part exchange and sold off as individual components.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@spudulike this impulse line you mentioned, is that a wire I am looking for I assume? I might have missed it but maybe it has a different name in the parts list… so far I couldn’t spot it in the list so not sure what I am looking for 😬

thanks, you’re all heroes to me as far as I’m concerned 

stihl_038.pdf