Stihl 038 AVS Farm Boss (late ‘80s) worth saving?

Just_Alex

The small consumer saws, trimmers and blowers use silica bores and chrome rings, we used chrome bores on the first Husqvarna 181 will twin steel rings, strange choice, you could drop the rings into the cylinder and they only just touched the sides.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adw said:

I just thought if you are going to do it, then do bearings and seals, if nothing else good experience if the chap is going to look after his own machines, I agree if the crank is shot it’s probably done, but once apart and bits cleaned up he may get his money back selling the good parts, I see it all the time, old machines taken in part exchange and sold off as individual components.

@adw you give much undeserved credit, but I’ll see if I can give it a wiggle. 😄

7 minutes ago, Just_Alex said:

@spudulike this impulse line you mentioned, is that a wire I am looking for I assume? I might have missed it but maybe it has a different name in the parts list… so far I couldn’t spot it in the list so not sure what I am looking for 😬

thanks, you’re all heroes to me as far as I’m concerned 

stihl_038.pdf 1.43 MB · 1 download

Oh dear, we have are work cut out here.

• Haha 3

@spudulike this impulse line you mentioned, is that a wire I am looking for I assume? I might have missed it but maybe it has a different name in the parts list… so far I couldn’t spot it in the list so not sure what I am looking for [emoji51]

thanks, you’re all heroes to me as far as I’m concerned 
stihl_038.pdf

Impulse line is a rubber tube, connected between the crankcase and carb, the crankcase side creates a pressure which in turn creates a vacuum on the carb side thus pumping fuel from the tank.
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, adw said:

Oh dear, we have are work cut out here.

I’d pay good money for someone to do the honours rather than you having to watch me work out which way round to hold a spanner 😂

dunno… it’s already in a box… boxes are used to ship things… any takers? 😅

28 minutes ago, adw said:

The impulse actually creates a positive and negative pulse due to the action of the piston movement, this is transferred to the pump diaphragm which creates the pump action.

Located the impulse line, but it’s hard to see if it’s perished or not without disassembling at least a tiny bit more… I’ll also take a look at the air intake grommet thingy on case that’s also 35 years old and wheezing like crazy. 
thanks all I learnt so much already, thanks for being patient with me! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Just_Alex said:

Located the impulse line, but it’s hard to see if it’s perished or not without disassembling at least a tiny bit more… I’ll also take a look at the air intake grommet thingy on case that’s also 35 years old and wheezing like crazy. 
thanks all I learnt so much already, thanks for being patient with me! 

They typically split, just done a Red Eye 066 that had done similar. Best to remove it to inspect it or just replace it as it isn't expensive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spudulike said:

They typically split, just done a Red Eye 066 that had done similar. Best to remove it to inspect it or just replace it as it isn't expensive.

This is how it goes isn’t it, “just let me undo that set of screws to take off one more thing” and before you know it, there’s piles of parts everywhere and a spring in your eye? 

ok will get a set of long torx and see how far I get this weekend.  Thanks Spud :) 

• Like 1