Walker killed by cattle....

kevinjohnsonmbe

16 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

On the inheritance thing I think that’s one of the reasons that dad hasn’t sold up.

he did look at selling and buying somewhere about a quarter the size as he still wanted land. Trouble is those places are overpriced due to city bankers and the like wanting a big house with 40/50 acres.

capital gains would have eaten most of the difference in price making it unviable (well poor anyway) as the farm is making money now even though he has contractors do 90% of it as he’s old now. If he doesn’t get better it will have to get sold I guess as I won’t be able to afford to buy my sister out. Might be able to sell most of the land and pay her off that way. It really depends on how much tax that will create I suppose.

capital gains does piss me off as it was bought not as an investment but as a home for my grandad and family and afterwards/during and up to know as a home that obviously made a living. But that’s all it was a living. It never made huge money

Have you had proper advice on inheritance / capital gains tax? I’m sure you will have - I was under the impression - not at all first hand knowledge - there were significant advantageous conditions:

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Have you had proper advice on inheritance / capital gains tax? I’m sure you will have - I was under the impression - not at all first hand knowledge - there were significant advantageous conditions:

The accountant and solicitor dad uses are actually very good. I didn’t really question him much about it as I was quite pleased when he dropped the idea. As I said I don’t really see the farm as money I see it as home (more than my own home now) and ideally will move back there at some point. It’s something that needs looking at sooner than later now I suppose. He’s gone from being a strong 78 to losing 4 stone and a lot of muscle mass in 4 months. It’s frightening how quickly he’s gone downhill.

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

The accountant and solicitor dad uses are actually very good. I didn’t really question him much about it as I was quite pleased when he dropped the idea. As I said I don’t really see the farm as money I see it as home (more than my own home now) and ideally will move back there at some point. It’s something that needs looking at sooner than later now I suppose. He’s gone from being a strong 78 to losing 4 stone and a lot of muscle mass in 4 months. It’s frightening how quickly he’s gone downhill.

Sorry to hear that about yr Dad Richard, I did see your previous worrying post comment about possible vaccine association but I didn’t feel it was appropriate to comment. Best wishes to you all for whatever lays ahead. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

Hi there, I know nothing  of your situation, but any property in your dads name needs transferring a bit quick. Never mind inheritance tax, that is the least of your worries. If your dad ends up needing to receive any sort of care or to be in a care home, social services will take the LOT to pay for his care.. The fact you live there means nothing, you will be evicted and the property sold..

john..

Edited by john87