Can you spray Creosote with a knapsack spryer?

Woodworks

About to build a shed out of home milled douglas fir. I dont want rot or woodworm and wonderd if Creostote can be sprayed on to save time over painting. Happy to wear some good PPE for the job if it can be done quickly. Thanks

Edited by Woodworks

1 hour ago, woody paul said:

The one I use I borrowed off an old boy how had used it for over ten years with no problems. 

We have got an old one that might be persuaded to work again but may try the roller option. There will be lots of timbers the same section so setting them out beside each other and going over with a roller shouldn't be tricky. 

2 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Creosote will destroy the sprayer diaphragm and o rings. I would always favour spraying and probably buy a lo cost fence coating sprayer you can afford to damage.

How is the Woodlands Mill going by the way - sounds like you have been busy ? 😃

The mill is just up and running. First project is to build a cover for it which is what I am looking to treat with Creosote. 

The mill itself is OK but quality control is not the best as you might expect from a relatively cheap mill from China. Had a problem but with a slight mod is now all sorted. Could of kicked off and waited months for a new fairly major part for the mill but it now works perfectly with far less hassle than changing bits. The quality of cut is fantastic, the engine runs sweet and the head seems very stable. Rise and fall is slightly stiff at present but I think will ease with use. Rather that than have it slopping about on the guides. The bed is heavy but its surprising the load a big log put son things. It comes with loads of legs and I have set it on some RSJs so its now very well supported

Use a roller by all means, creocote is the shit one you can by in the likes of Wickes or B&Q dont bother with that use proper creosote and mix with used oil and if your timber is dry when you do it it will really soak in a dry quite quickly 2-3 coats and it will last a fair few years before it needs doing again,