New energy price cap and fire wood prices

neiln

2 minutes ago, neiln said:

Ok yes it's not too hard to get a figure.  Plenty of tables about giving energy content per cord or per kg (cord is easier as we buy/sell by volume but again tables have the density so can convert).  Take a stove efficiency of say 70% and You can calculate a price for a kWh of heat from wood.

Looking like wood is fairly close to mains gas price, maybe not cheaper, but fairly close. 

A 70% efficiency stove would be an older stove, many stoves now are 80-90% efficiency and one I know over 90%. The other things the consider are how long a gas boiler is going to last before it needs to be replace, which I think is about 10 years, whereas most wood stoves will last much longer than that, also if electric goes off and you are dependant on either gas or electric you have no heating whereas with a dry stove you have heating and with some you can at least heat something up on the hot plate, with a wet stove you would of course need a generator to keep the pump going. Those that have time to source their own wood or have access to free wood and time to process it are not going to be much affected I would have thought by the increase in domestic energy costs. We are self-sufficient in woodfuel (cut and process it ourselves) and can only heat the house with wood and heat the domestic hot water with wood too and with exception of shower, we can cook/heat food on stove too and wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 4

Talking to someone who has been monitoring gas and electricity costs at a number of properties as part of his job he informs me that electric at the properties he is monitoring is actually more expensive than gas, Sept - Nov last year it was 15p/kWH + 26p standing charge at one property and gas April to Sept 4.5p/kWH + 30p/day standing charge, then in December 5p/kWH so it looks like if heating with electricity before forecast price rises wood a cheaper option per kWH but not gas however gas looks like it may a some point be more expensive than what some are charging for firewood logs at the moment but firewood prices are also likely to increase because of inflation.

Costs for small sized fixed business prices not domestic.

Edited by Vedhoggar

28 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

This is more up to date than it is used to be on logs prices but its for back in October 

The cost quoted for seasoned firewood looks like it is at lower end of the price of logs although it states it is an average price, also price quoted is for 'seasoned' wood not kiln-dried wood which would be more expensive, kiln-dried wood just has to be <20% which is achievable through natural drying but some kiln-dried wood sold does have a lower moisture content.

1 hour ago, Vedhoggar said:

The cost quoted for seasoned firewood looks like it is at lower end of the price of logs although it states it is an average price, also price quoted is for 'seasoned' wood not kiln-dried wood which would be more expensive, kiln-dried wood just has to be <20% which is achievable through natural drying but some kiln-dried wood sold does have a lower moisture content.

They are a lot closer than they used to be on wood fuel prices. Its a nicely constructed table but sometimes fails under close examination or at least used to 

Sounds like a very competitive price.

Just put my rate up by 5% althoughI know inflation is set to to rise to 7% then drop to 6% but inflation rates are not the same for everyone, I'm not going to lock myself into a set price next winter as I have in the past. I basically look at operating cost add 15-20% net profit then compare with local going rate to see if still a competitive price and take it from there, I don't have a set price though but rather quote a price depending on location, easy of delivery and quality. Not going for Woodsure just going to sell 2m3 loose loads to domestic customers, the 2m3 rule only applies to woodfuel for domestic as I understand it so presumably not pubs, restaurants and those running holiday cottages I delivery to.

15-20% profit? That low a margin? I’m planning on 40-50% or it’s just not worth it.

We’re 99.5% own sourced / processed / seasoned wood heated although I do run biomass central heating for an hour or so per month just to push the fluids around a bit. 

Starting to seriously look at battery storage for the solar PV now. Seems like even quite a hefty investment will have fairly rapid pay down if elec prices stay on the up. 

It’s a bloody scandal really - Shell profits quadruple to 18 billion and domestic prices set to double. 

Them riots is coming....

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

We’re 99.5% own sourced / processed / seasoned wood heated although I do run biomass central heating for an hour or so per month just to push the fluids around a bit. 

Starting to seriously look at battery storage for the solar PV now. Seems like even quite a hefty investment will have fairly rapid pay down if elec prices stay on the up. 

It’s a bloody scandal really - Shell profits quadruple to 18 billion and domestic prices set to double. 

Them riots is coming....

Before or after tea and crumpets?
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Them riots is coming....

Thats pre tax though what percentage has there profit gone up after tax?