Wood chipper PTO

David farmer

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

https://melit.ee/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/ch_260_eng_v2.pdf
Another with pictures...

Are you still running a 160 Mike ?
I haven't used a farmi for about 15 years but seem to remember the pto speed being relatively low , maybe it was on 1000rpm ?

This would interest Mr a good bit I'm running it on 120hp tractor and I have 540 540eco 1000 but what engine r gearbox is best to run

1 hour ago, David farmer said:

This would interest Mr a good bit I'm running it on 120hp tractor and I have 540 540eco 1000 but what engine r gearbox is best to run

I have the same chipper. I always run it on 1000 pto around 1500-1800 engine rpm 

Running on 540 when you have more than sufficient hp is just wasting fuel imo. Although below 100 hp this may be necessary.

Sharpening the teeth on the top roller can help reduce the amount of brash wrapping around it. As will sharpening the blades. They're well knackered.

As a rule those chippers don't like twiggy, twisty green stuff, so be prepared for regular reversing of the feed rollers and occasional opening of the machine to unblock the gap between the feed rollers and flywheel, especially on busy conifers! Not as big a job as it sounds. And less likely to happen when everything is sharp.

I've been using rotatech blades, I have 3 sets and there's usually one sent off for grinding, one in use and one on the shelf ready to go. No complaints in 5 years use. You may need to invest in an anvil if it's badly worn.

• Like 2

If you are still looking for blades, I have several spare sets from when I ran this same chipper, I think from memory one set is still brand new. All in good serviceable condition. Get them sharpened by a saw doctor, don’t do it yourself with a grinder and you will get the correct angles without heating the blade up. Call me if keen on 07768 791084 and I will see what I have. Based in Cullompton, Devon.