Forst ST8 Vs Forst ST8 Stage V

Clutchy

Only really looking for opinions from people who have owned both. 

Before it was stolen, we had a 2019 ST8 which was great. 

We want another as the ST6P is lacking a little. Can anyone tell me if the new stage V Doosan 55bhp diesel is just as good as the lower powered Kohler engine from the previous generation ST8.  

Or if anyone has the ST8P (I doubt there is) whether that is comparable at all. 

Many thanks. 

Hi I have experienced both a TR8 with the kubota 35 Hp diesel circa 2019 and now replaced with a TR8 55D Dosan powered unit ! The dosan seams to power it very well and personally think it’s definitely benefiting from the extra HP only time will tell but it’s definitely a good unit. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Timbertom111 said:

I've used both as a Subbie with other companies. The more recent Doosan engine is noticeably more powerful and is a beast but I still can't help always spot the the classic forst poor build issues.

I don't really want to turn it into a which brand is better thread but I certainly get what you mean with the build quality to an extent. 

We have had minor issues on the st6 and st8 but none that stopped us from working. 2 issued were fixed over the phone and the other issues we had replacement parts sent out. 

If their back up service wasn't as good I'd be concerned but as it is so good, I'll live with it. Further to that we only keep them for 2-3 years before getting a new chipper anyway. 

I'm sure all brands have minor teething problems on new machines but as long as they rectify the issues swiftly, I'm good with it 

• Like 1

I’ve got the Doosan 55 hp. It’s way ahead of the old kubota in terms of chipping power. Very economical too. Try to stack brash up and give it a good run , stop start chipping doesn’t allow regens so you will have to keep an eye on the display to do forced regens. I always plan to have longer chipping sessions so it’s automatically doing itself and not clogging up in the first place.
I bought one of the first which had several issues. Was replaced under warranty by Först. The faults have been rectified on my new machine and I’m very pleased with it. Build quality is certainly improved on their newer machines.
A lot of negative opinions are probably off the back of their earlier machines, no doubt justified but they’ve come a long way and are a good machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1