FARMBOSS!!

Nathan1992

Hiya guys I recently found an 038 farmboss out for scrap starts and runs great I've changed the muffler as it was basically not there and I've noticed it doesn't like starting hot without full revs on.

The tank vent is split could this be the issue.

Also would it be powerful enough do do milling if so what size bar is recommended.

Thanks in advance 

What does "With full revs on" mean? The choke lever has a middle position between full choke and idle which is a partial choke and fast idle setting for starting when the saw is hot but guess you know that.

Hot running issues can be typically lack of compression or the carb needing a going over and the L screw resetting - it may be a bit lean.

Other than that, the coil to flywheel gap being too large and dodgy HT cable/plug can also give issues but less likely.

The split breather will have zero to do with it. 

Checking the piston condition and compression especially when warm is a good call - less than 150 is getting poor.

038 milling.....really9_9

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spudulike said:

What does "With full revs on" mean? The choke lever has a middle position between full choke and idle which is a partial choke and fast idle setting for starting when the saw is hot but guess you know that.

Hot running issues can be typically lack of compression or the carb needing a going over and the L screw resetting - it may be a bit lean.

Other than that, the coil to flywheel gap being too large and dodgy HT cable/plug can also give issues but less likely.

The split breather will have zero to do with it. 

Checking the piston condition and compression especially when warm is a good call - less than 150 is getting poor.

038 milling.....really9_9

Hahaha worth a try got a bit of milling to do lol and will only start when I got the trigger on and brake off when it's hot 🔥 

12 hours ago, spudulike said:

Try turning the L screw anti clockwise 1/2 turn. It may help. Does the saw feel like it has lots of compression when you pull it over slowly or can it be pulled over easily? 

When you start it on the fast idle setting, does the saw rev like bonkers or is it a bit slow or normal?

No starts like all my other saws tbh 3 pulls for choke then 1 pull after that