550 XP on the spot buy..

Guest Gimlet

I think the guy forgot those first MS201s and MS261s. The first 2013 MS201s used to sit there rumbling when you pulled the throttle and then revved wildly - the fix...lets drill a hole in the exhaust and after Brad Snelling had been modding them for a couple of years, Stihl released a modification kit pretty much doing the same thing....the shame of it!!

And the 261....we all know about their cheesy crankshafts which Stihl blamed on sprockets...Mmmm as if.

Both manufactures have had their successes, innovation, great models and absolute shyte ones....

You can't just write Stihl or Husqvarna off as "crap".

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I think the guy forgot those first MS201s and MS261s. The first 2013 MS201s used to sit there rumbling when you pulled the throttle and then revved wildly - the fix...lets drill a hole in the exhaust and after Brad Snelling had been modding them for a couple of years, Stihl released a modification kit pretty much doing the same thing....the shame of it!!

And the 261....we all know about their cheesy crankshafts which Stihl blamed on sprockets...Mmmm as if.

Both manufactures have had their successes, innovation, great models and absolute shyte ones....

You can't just write Stihl or Husqvarna off as "crap".

I thought it polite not to mention them Steve . but , as you say .....😁

• Like 2

Lets get our mankinis shined up ready [emoji16]  ......... Is this a bit of a de rail by any chance ? 🤥

Tis indeed Mr Stubby, but Spuds just kicked us back on track [emoji16]
(and as for shining the mankinis up….. NO! Not after last time and you wore yours upside down!)
  • Haha 1

Anyway... 

Cleaned it up and investigated today and I can't find anything wrong.

Difficulty getting the cover off is a side issue. The worry is why it suddenly refused to spin up with the brake off and why the bar end sprocket seized and wouldn't turn. 

Brake and cover were fine. Quite shitty, so cleaned them up and cover goes on and off no problem. Took the bar and chain off, started the engine and blipped the throttle and immediately oil began to pump from the oiler vent as it should. Reassembled and fired up again and it took ages for any oil to appear on the bar. When it did it seemed very meagre. Wound the oiler screw open to increase flow and it didn't feel right. Didn't just unwind like it does on my 365, but sprung outwards and stopped, like it was on a cam. And when I adjusted the chain tension, the tensioner felt wrong as well. On my 365, if I want to I can turn the screw smoothly until the chain is like a guitar string. On the 550 it doesn't seem to move the bar properly. The screw goes tight and stops before the chain is at the desired tension and if you persists the bar twitches upwards rather than moves forward. you have to wriggle the bar up and down to get the screw to turn and get the chain to tighten correctly. Yet, with the cover off the tensioner screw turns perfectly and the pin travels up and down smoothly as it should.

I'll see how it goes but I suspect there is something amiss with the drive train. Something isn't aligning correctly and I'm not convinced enough of the the oil is getting onto the bar (I did notice the saw left a pool of oil in the back of my truck after use, where the 365 does not. Something is not quite right with this saw. 

Edited by Gimlet