Grillo 62M

helen@waltonhowarth.co.uk

yes  we did, but Grillo are adamant that the design is correct, a 20 mm hole with a 10mm bolt through it, All we can assume is that  no-one has used such a machine on anything other than manicured lawns, despite their publicity video showing it being taken through wild verges and up steep hillsides,.... and that the washers have to be tightened up really tight so that they cannot ease off............. 

yes  we did, but Grillo are adamant that the design is correct, a 20 mm hole with a 10mm bolt through it, All we can assume is that  no-one has used such a machine on anything other than manicured lawns, despite their publicity video showing it being taken through wild verges and up steep hillsides,.... and that the washers have to be tightened up really tight so that they cannot ease off............. 

I have the CL75 which is the bigger version. I can assure you they are serious tools, robust and well up to cutting/mulching thick vegetation. Iirc the shaft in mine is stepped down so the blade fits directly onto it, the bolt and washer assembly just basically clamp it in place?

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

yes  we did, but Grillo are adamant that the design is correct, a 20 mm hole with a 10mm bolt through it,

Is that the UK importers or Grillo in Italy?

I would ask what's the purpose of the 20mm hole, what purpose does the 5mm clearance serve.

To be honest I would have formally rejected the machine until they can come up with a proper explanation and fix.

I will try and sort out some pictures .... I have slipped and strained my ankle!   so have not gone out for a few  days .....   but will see if I can set a series of  pictures up .....we are dealing with the shop here in Scotland as technically  our contract is with them.... 

I appreciate your comment  that the machines are robust and up to mulching through thick vegetation ...that was what I was hoping for .... When I first got it, I felt that  co-ordinating the  set off walking and engage blades might take a bit of practice so took it on a field well munched by sheep for decades ..... there were no protruding stones rocks etc   but were a few clumps of rushes ... but these had been cut earlier in the year by a 1.2 m flail mower (own motor & towed behind a mule)  so were not very thick/ tough.... I thought it might do  the edges of the field where the bracken grows which I cannot cut with the flail .....it was  late in the year  so  the bracken was not a serious challenge... but  the bolt was stripped and the blade rattling long before I could get to test it out! 

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I will try and sort out some pictures .... I have slipped and strained my ankle!   so have not gone out for a few  days .....   but will see if I can set a series of  pictures up .....we are dealing with the shop here in Scotland as technically  our contract is with them.... 

I appreciate your comment  that the machines are robust and up to mulching through thick vegetation ...that was what I was hoping for .... When I first got it, I felt that  co-ordinating the  set off walking and engage blades might take a bit of practice so took it on a field well munched by sheep for decades ..... there were no protruding stones rocks etc   but were a few clumps of rushes ... but these had been cut earlier in the year by a 1.2 m flail mower (own motor & towed behind a mule)  so were not very thick/ tough.... I thought it might do  the edges of the field where the bracken grows which I cannot cut with the flail .....it was  late in the year  so  the bracken was not a serious challenge... but  the bolt was stripped and the blade rattling long before I could get to test it out! 

Yeah clearly not right, mine will smash through pretty much anything put in front of it inc 50mm saplings..its a beast! I know what u meant about getting to grips with running it, we tend to have 1 hand on the handlebars (obviously on the deadman's handle left side) and the other on the forward/reverse shuttle. Take it back and demand its put right, or if its down to negligence....soak it up I guess.

On 04/12/2021 at 08:58, [email protected] said:

parts lits 1.pdfThere is nothing going through the blade except the bolt    item number  52956

of the washers underneath there are, in order from the bottom  ie closest to the head of the bolt  2 washers that are 10mm id=1 with striations, (10mm id)   a fat washer also 10mm id, then a bigger, dished washer that  is 20 mm id    ref numbers 50195, 2431, 55754... then the section of blade, and then a big boss that sits ontop of the blade 196066 which is threaded to take the bolt and is then connected to the shaft. 

Does the boss 196066 not have some sort of flange underneath to centralise/locate the blade? If the blade has been loose might it have been worn away? 

• Like 1

I was wondering if there is a 'register' which is 20mm for the blade to sit on before the bolt is tightened. It makes no sense otherwise.  BTW, the shop soldit to you so technically,  they have to deal with it. But just cannot see how/why it would be assembled with that blade on a smaller bolt only.

I'm not familar with the Grillo but i do have a similar machine -AS940 Sherpa. It has shear bolts on the boss that break off if you hit an immovable obstacle. From memory they are a darker colour, possibly due to higher carbon content (?).

Is it possible that your bolt should be a shear bolt with a flange washer or something that makes it wider? It may have broken at some stage and been replaced with a standard bolt .

Like others have said I think you  need to go back to the retailer to get it sorted as it's "not fit for purpose".