Prices in Germany

djbobbins

23 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

If logs are that cheap think about how cheap the wood they were cut from was. How on earth are you going to able to make a living?

Firewood isn't big business in Sweden. Most people just cut it from the birch/aspen that they aren't selling for pulp/sawlog (because it's not pine or spruce). I don't think that commercial log retailers exist in any great number - it's mostly just forest owners selling their own wood, for which they have paid nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

Prices start at about £30 a cube for mixed split wood here

Is that price for unseasoned wood and does it include softwood in the mix? Does it include delivery price? What is the range of prices for seasoned split hardwood including local delivery? What’s the common log length (expect it’s 33cm not the shorter 22-25cm as in UK)?

57 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

Is that price for unseasoned wood and does it include softwood in the mix? Does it include delivery price? What is the range of prices for seasoned split hardwood including local delivery? What’s the common log length (expect it’s 33cm not the shorter 22-25cm as in UK)?

Im not an expert on the industry, but most adverts ive seen (including a couple of mates side buisneses) its normally £30-£50 /m3 1 year seasoned. normally free delivery within a set area for multiple m3. loose tipped.

Premium firewood is birch (which here, once split and dried is more like ash tbh) £45+ /m3

Mixed load around here would be birch, pine, spruce and maybe aspen. £30+ /m3

Hardwoods like oak, ash and beech are deemed to burn too hot and not wanted. Although i reckon this might have been a bit of a scaremongering ploy from days gone by when all oaks were owned by the king.

Aspen is preferred for saunas

As an arborist, when cutting stems to rings at customers, standard is 30-40cm

I reckon prices are cheaper as its not knotty oversized lumps, but incredibly processor friendly lengths straight from forest thinning operations

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wonder if more  heat pumps is reducing  firewood demand?

Just 10 in 1,000 or 1% of UK households have heat pumps installed, up to the end of 2020, compared with 60% of Norwegian homes and 43% of Swedish households, the figures suggest.

Britain was joint last out of 21 countries for heat pump sales and second last for the number of households that have the...

• Like 2

We just had a load delivered as due to being off sick I had t collected enough for the full winter.  Got a nice couple of piles of 2 year seasoned, Oak, Ash, Beech, Plum, Pear, Apple and Elm and various Pine and Spruce kicking about.

I tried to order a pallet when I got back to Norway from the Uk in September and my mate was already sold out.  So we found another supplier.  They delivered a tightly packed pallet of seasoned Birch for 2300 Norwegian Crown.

Burns fast for a so called premium product but is ok when supplemented with some bits of proper hardwood I have.

As for the cost per metre2.  No idea.

6DC81121-9FB7-48E2-B779-FD4AB9487513.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Stere said:

Wonder if more  heat pumps is reducing  firewood demand?

Britain was joint last out of 21 countries for heat pump sales and second last for the number of households that have the...

We have a Varmepumper in the living room and ventilation system that circulates the entire house.  Problem is this year, we haven’t had a lot of rain last year.  The electricity is generally cheap in Norway due to the hydro generation.  

Less water, higher prices of electricity.

I mean ridiculously high.  Peak prices are around 3.5 NOk per kw/h dropping to 0.37 NOk at night.

Hence firewood prices have increased and availability down due to demand.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

We just had a load delivered as due to being off sick I had t collected enough for the full winter.  Got a nice couple of piles of 2 year seasoned, Oak, Ash, Beech, Plum, Pear, Apple and Elm and various Pine and Spruce kicking about.

I tried to order a pallet when I got back to Norway from the Uk in September and my mate was already sold out.  So we found another supplier.  They delivered a tightly packed pallet of seasoned Birch for 2300 Norwegian Crown.

Burns fast for a so called premium product but is ok when supplemented with some bits of proper hardwood I have.

As for the cost per metre2.  No idea.

6DC81121-9FB7-48E2-B779-FD4AB9487513.jpeg

Seems very expensive at 2300 NOK (£197), can't be more than m3 bulk/loose

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

Seems very expensive at 2300 NOK (£197), can't be more than m3 bulk/loose

There was 300 crown delivery as they drove from the South of Norway.  

Norway is expensive in general.  The reasons in my other post have also contributes to prices.

My electricity bill was 300 quid in September and 400 quid in October.  It hasn’t even started to get cold yet.

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

Im not an expert on the industry, but most adverts ive seen (including a couple of mates side buisneses) its normally £30-£50 /m3 1 year seasoned. normally free delivery within a set area for multiple m3. loose tipped.

Premium firewood is birch (which here, once split and dried is more like ash tbh) £45+ /m3

Mixed load around here would be birch, pine, spruce and maybe aspen. £30+ /m3

Hardwoods like oak, ash and beech are deemed to burn too hot and not wanted. Although i reckon this might have been a bit of a scaremongering ploy from days gone by when all oaks were owned by the king.

Aspen is preferred for saunas

As an arborist, when cutting stems to rings at customers, standard is 30-40cm

I reckon prices are cheaper as its not knotty oversized lumps, but incredibly processor friendly lengths straight from forest thinning operations

The only way I could match those keen prices for the premium logs at that size (30-40cm length) would be with null profit and getting wood for free. A lot of farms in Sweden have their own woodland so would not be buying in wood and from wood such as thinnings that would not be sold on as timber I suspect, also a lot of airspaces with 30-40cm logs when sold in bulk and yes very straight, perfect size for processor and small/few knots often.