Making Firewood pay.

Hodge

If your primary job is Tree work then selling firewood is only an added bonus and should be treat as such.

All my firewood sales over the year pay for the servicing of all my vehicles and machines and nothing more

Same here, there is good money to be made but i would hate to think i had to make a full time living at it or have thousands of pounds invested. It keeps me going at quite times and is a bonus.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, there is good money to be made but i would hate to think i had to make a full time living at it or have thousands of pounds invested. It keeps me going at quite times and is a bonus.

Same as above really.

I started selling logs as the farm is quieter Dec/Jan and the processing of Firewood complements this quite nicely. I'm earning about £13-£18 per hr when doing the firewood if thats of any interest. Some days are lot better then others mind you.

I think that it is wortrh pointing out that sawdust is based up in the lakes, which if it is anything like down here, all timber has a value, whereas (and im guessing here) in surrey people have central heating and just want the wood gone from there manicured gardens, seeing it as a burden. It is very difficult to charge to remove timber from tha majority of jobs down here, and in fact on most jobs i dont get to remove any at all.

You are right mate, up here everyone is getting wood burners fitted, my mate fits em and he cant get the burners fast enough, im gonna get him to recomend me and in return i will sort him some wood out for his fire. its the old way of doing things before money was invented, ha,ha.

Its a bit of a shock to some people how much firewood costs, I think many think a "load" ought to cost £50 even if its 3 cube.

30-40 years ago people would have known what good wood was and what it was worth, I think in 10 years time we will see the same thing, its just going to take time for the new woodbuners to learn how to buy and store their wood and for the industry to meet their demands.

Another prediction: an increase in the number of chimney fires as people burn wet wood in flues that haven't been used for years.

Most people dont think things out logically.

I sat down and worked out the cost of fitting my burner compared to the savings over gas and even getting my logs free it would still take two years to recover the cost of the fire plus installation and then after two years I would be into saving money.

Someone having to pay for logs will be into the four year mark before saving money, provided of course they got a decent burner

Mine was £2k installed

Most people dont think things out logically.

I sat down and worked out the cost of fitting my burner compared to the savings over gas and even getting my logs free it would still take two years to recover the cost of the fire plus installation and then after two years I would be into saving money.

Someone having to pay for logs will be into the four year mark before saving money, provided of course they got a decent burner

Mine was £2k installed

I had a wood fired system in a previous house and even with free wood you were forever carrying, stacking and seasoning wood. Nowadays I'd rather sell logs to buy oil - nothing like coming home after a hard day and getting heat at the flick of a switch!

I reckon in a few years time there'll be a fair few wood fired cookers on the second hand market. Most people installing them have no idea of the sheer volume of wood needed to run such a system - I even met someone who'd installed one in a terraced house, with NOWHERE to store wood properly.:001_rolleyes: