Fixing damage to a table

WoodFinish

Hi Wood Working peeps.

I seek advice and guidance from the sculptors of the woods of the ages.

So a hot coffee pot was on some papers but the pot was to hot and the table got dammaged like this.

Any possible step by step help?. Doi i sand down the area then various coats of laquer what kinds ?. Is there any kind fo extra sealant that i should get ?.

Total new person to this so would apreciate some help

Kind Regards

WF

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-24 at 11.30.43.jpeg

Hi Wood Working peeps.

So a hot coffee pot was on some papers but the pot was to hot and the table got dammaged like this.

Any possible step by step help?. Doi i sand down the area then various coats of laquer what kinds ?. Is there any kind fo extra sealant that i should get ?.

Kind Regards

WF 1531244031_WhatsAppImage2021-10-24at11_30_43.thumb.jpeg.5a49675da3c2b8cc5360a8e72d8fc29c.jpeg
Get a decent random orbit sander. Sand the whole top down starting at 120 grit. Then 180, 240 and 320. Higher if you want.
Finish the top with 2 or 3 coats of osmo poly x.
  • Like 2

Depends on what is on the surface of the Furnature.

Traditionally it would have been bees wax.

Then it became varnishes, now it has become a Lacquer. You can get aerosol cans of lacquer in gloss or satin sheen.

We have a large oak sinning room table that has been damaged twice by guests and to sort it out I have had to wire wool the surface and the spray lacquer it in very light coats.

on once occasion I had to fill a small hole in the table with French polishing coloured bees wax before acquiring the table.

I got the spray lacquer and Liberian bees wax from the Axminster company

I would go with Muttleys advise  get an orbital sander and maybe some wax polish remover ,Strip then Sand 120 grit up to 400 should do wipe off with spirit then apply a finish , Colron do a good water based lacqure that is hot coffee cup resistant I have tested it .

23 hours ago, WoodFinish said:
Hi Wood Working peeps.

Kind Regards

WF

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-24 at 11.30.43.jpeg

There is a very effective treatment I found in a furniture restoration book many years ago which I think would remove the damage really easily and save you a lot of effort.

The recipe is as follows:

One part boiled linseed oil

One part genuine turpentine (not white spirit)

One part methylated spirit

A dash of vinegar

Mix it up and apply it with a cloth.  It will cut back the surface and re-finish it all in one go.  I suspect it will remove the white mark and revive the whole surface surprisingly well.  I have used it many times over the years and never been disappointed.  It also has a wonderful smell.

Of course the table will still be subject to future damage by heat and alcohol etc, so if you are trying to give it a more durable finish you will have to totally re-finish it.  But I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised how well this recipe works and how easy it is and if you keep it in a sealed jar you can use it again in the future if the surface gets damaged again.

• Like 2