Anybody ever get it wrong?

RobArb

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a leylandi hedge which was a nice half day job turned out 3 fully loaded trucks of chips and 1 full load of logs! halfway though the day i really wanted to go home. and as usual i was soaked through to the bone, damn rain.

I know the feeling mate.

I know I'm going to very soon...

Back in October, I quoted 150cash to fell a cupressus into a field.

Then called back the client in January to tell them that I could chip it for another 30e

When I got there, under what I thought/was told was a bramble hedge was a low but valuable stone wall.

No felling then.

So I climbed it and dismantled it which took 4 man hours longer.

What a dense mess!

Still the client fed us royally and we kept our reputation and professional integrity.

Now,

I'm about to quote 4k euros for a job that a fire wood hunter quoted 600euros for.

If I lose, I'd like to see if if F.W.Hunter does do it...

Also, we under quoted 400e for a thick leylandii hedge and this too has been snapped up by another F.W.Hunter and guess what... THIS TIME WE DON'T CARE!!!

In fact, as it is around the corner, when it kicks off, we shall cancel our work for the day, pull up a pair of deck chairs and a flask and just watch... and laugh!

I mean, how much wood 'v' brash in a Leylandii hedge?

My old boss sent us to a site with a written job sheet that stated: 6 oaks, remove, thought it was well under quoted. When I knocked on the door and asked the customer to move her car in case I crushed it, She had a confused look at the distance of the car from the trees and started asking how the car could be in the way. After reading her (typed) copy of the job sheet it said 6 oaks, remove deadwood!!

Thats one of them days you are glad the customer WAS at home!

We priced a dismantle for a monteray cypress to take two days. Six days later we finnally felled the last 20 feet of the stem. Oh dear !!!!!

The owner took pity on us and gave us an extra £200, even with this, major cock up

They do seem to have a much much larger volume than they look like!

Have only ever done a couple of them and its scary how much brash comes out.

My old boss sent us to a site with a written job sheet that stated: 6 oaks, remove, thought it was well under quoted. When I knocked on the door and asked the customer to move her car in case I crushed it, She had a confused look at the distance of the car from the trees and started asking how the car could be in the way. After reading her (typed) copy of the job sheet it said 6 oaks, remove deadwood!!

Was that my hand writing?

That was lucky! always pays to check on the phone if you think you smell a lemon!

We used to have O/P and O/S for opposite and outside house number doing st trees, till I got it wrong, iread O/S but it was the big lime O/P!

we have all done this at some point, mistakes you make when your too young to ask a simple question and or doubt the spec given! i should have sussed on the price alone!:001_huh: