Greenmech 1929 wont start

JimE

Hopefully someone here can help,

Greenmech safetrac 1928, all working fine last time it was used,

went to start today, no start. on the screen came up oil. Check oil and all good, topped up a little just in case, stil the same. So took wire off the sensor incase that was faulty.

Now on the screen comes up Alt for the alternator.

Battery voltage is good, and it will turn over if I power the starter directly.

Is it actually the alternator which is faulty? I just find it hard be believe that its gone wrong overnight, and that the system knows it faulty when its not even started?

Unfortunately the manual I have with the machine is missing the pages with the wiring diagrams at the back, so I dont have much to go on.

Any ideas?

What age machine and which control box is fitted? Does it turn over with the key or do nothing at all? 
Check your fuses (not just blown but corroded blades/carriers).

Check the connections on the back of the ignition switch. You might have to take the face panel off the control box to do this.

Check your battery terminals and chassis earth. 

Which ignition box , EHB or RDS ?

Mk1 (Isuzu) or Mk2 (Kubota) ?

Try disconnecting the yellow (Kubota) or red/white  (Isuzu) from the starter motor and then go through the start procedure and see if you get a single click as the fuel solenoid pulls in ?

This is easier to hear if you are in chip mode.

If the solenoid clicks in then it's likely a fuel starvation issue. 

If the solenoid makes a fluttering noise then it could be the 20amp fuse or that circuit or a faulty solenoid  ?

• Like 1

I have the RDS control (this is the box with the screen and start/stop etc buttons right?) And Kubota engine.

The engine starter wont even spin over when I hold the start button.

I cant really hear the fuel solenoid cutting in or any noise from it really, but the fuel pump starts and I think they are on the same circuit?

Also, when I spin it over by jumping the starter, no smoke from the exhaust, so I guess the shut off solenoid isnt opening.

I checked the 4 fuses in the block and all are fine.

Surely its something with the controller not letting it turn over?

OK,  the next thing i would try is to undo the five 6mm bolts that hold the display and remove it complete with the panel it sits on. Follow the cable down and unplug it from its plug by the radiator. 

Now open the battery door and find the square white junction box and follow the cables from it to find the same plug as the one you disconnected to remove the display and then plug the display in there , this will bypass the extension loom.

Try to start the engine ?

If it starts then it's likely to be that the extension loom has water ingress in the plugs , you may be able to blow them dry with an airline ?

If it still doesn't start then feel free to call me tomorrow on : 01789 400044  , and press the option for service. If you need to call it would help if you have a multimeter to hand.

Jase.

• Like 5

Sorry for the delay, thanks for your help, only just got to looking at this tonight. Went to take the plugs apart to connect as you suggested and found the one closest to the screen with water in it, blew it all out and it starts now. Ill put it back together properly in the morning and test but its looking good!

thanks again, appreciate it!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, JimE said:

Sorry for the delay, thanks for your help, only just got to looking at this tonight. Went to take the plugs apart to connect as you suggested and found the one closest to the screen with water in it, blew it all out and it starts now. Ill put it back together properly in the morning and test but its looking good!

thanks again, appreciate it!

Good on you for the feed back . glad its sorted . 👍

• Like 2