£15/hour

eggsarascal

What does that share mean in reality? Certainly nothing you can cash in. When you eventually leave you’ll leave empty handed. 

Out of interest what happens to someone when their usefulness is over? Or too old or too frail/disabled? Do they get a free pass or do they get expelled from the commune?

I too rather spend time growing veg than working for the man. I’ve Polytunnels, veg patches, soft fruit patches, front and back porches devoted to citrus. I have time for all this since I only work 80-120 days a year, “working for the man”. I assume you pay tax and NI in the U.K.? If so at the end of the day you’re working for the man. 

Id like to rear animals right enough, one day maybe. Just now I enjoy holidays to much to be tied down like that. I can have 20 acres of land for a nominal fee if I wanted. Couple days milling a year. 
The share Means that while I live here I own an equal share with all other members. When I leave i surrender my share. You also don't get your £1 back. [emoji852]️

That is exactly my point. When i work I pay tax to the man. The less I work the less i pay to the man. Lower tax brackets etc. The more time I spend growing my own food, doing my own maintenance instead of paying trades men, cutting my own logs etc, the less I have to work for the man and the more sustainable I am.

That's the benefit of being here. I can rear animals and not be tied to them.

I like the sound of your lifestyle too, well the time you work and what your able to do with your time off. I don't like how unsustainable your work lifestyle is and I wouldn't want to do your job.
But ho hum. We are all different.

• Like 5

If you’re happy there mate, fair play, you’ve cracked it.
Ill be here till my son is old enough to go his own way. By which time I'll have a good amount in the bank and will live and travel in a van earning enough to get by. My partner is a teacher. She will probably go part time supply and we will follow that around. Well that's the current plan anyway. But who knows.
  • Like 2

This is how people used to live, and still do, in rural places other than the West. Back then it was extended families though. The modern iteration is "family by choice" I suppose. It's really the only sustainable way human beings can live, in the long run. Our personal exclusivity has only been a thing for the last couple of generations, and it's only getting worse. Great respect for the lifestyle, but most of us wouldn't he able to hack it, even if we were attracted to it. Everyone involved has to possess a high level of individual maturity, either that, or submit to a cult like mentality of some sort, like the Amish, where the rules and regulations are more stringent than the wider society... Wouldn't he my cup if tea, but the day might come when we all find ourselves living communally just to survive (the survivors, of whatever it is that does for our civilization, that is)... 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, muttley9050 said:

The share Means that while I live here I own an equal share with all other members. When I leave i surrender my share. You also don't get your £1 back. emoji852.png

That is exactly my point. When i work I pay tax to the man. The less I work the less i pay to the man. Lower tax brackets etc. The more time I spend growing my own food, doing my own maintenance instead of paying trades men, cutting my own logs etc, the less I have to work for the man and the more sustainable I am.

That's the benefit of being here. I can rear animals and not be tied to them.

I like the sound of your lifestyle too, well the time you work and what your able to do with your time off. I don't like how unsustainable your work lifestyle is and I wouldn't want to do your job.
But ho hum. We are all different.

How is my work lifestyle unsustainable? 

Not many have the mindset to handle my kind of work. A few here do or did but it’s certainly not for everyone. Many can’t handle a year off/shore. But that’s an asset for me, less competition. 😁

What happens when you’re too old or too frail to be a contributing member of your commune? Do you get reduced hours dropping off to zero the older you get? 

What happens when you’re too old or too frail to be a contributing member of your commune? Do you get reduced hours dropping off to zero the older you get? 

Hmmmm?

Or do they be dumped onto the common purse to be provided for, after not "working for the man" or paying taxes?

A comunderum indeed.

Not many have the mindset to handle my kind of work. A few here do or did but it’s certainly not for everyone. Many can’t handle a year off/shore. But that’s an asset for me, less competition. [emoji16]

All my work is within a 15 mile radius except for the occasional Milling job I travel to to help someone out.
From what I remember of what youve posted in the past, you fly to Norway and then get a helicopter from there. Would be way more sustainable if you lived somewhere near the helicopter site.

Sorry forgot to reply to that one.
We are not ageist. We try to keep a balance between young /old, male/female, single/couple, parent /non parent etc etc.
The oldest member here at the moment is 72. He is certainly slowing down but he does what he can. For example while we were logging he was very good at bringing out tea and cake and sorting lunch etc.
We wouldn't ever kick someone out for being old but what happens as he gets older and frailer I can't say as it's never happened in the lifespan of the community.
  • Like 1

Hmmmm?
Or do they be dumped onto the common purse to be provided for, after not "working for the man" or paying taxes?
A comunderum indeed.
We all pay taxes.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not many have the mindset to handle my kind of work. A few here do or did but it’s certainly not for everyone. Many can’t handle a year off/shore. But that’s an asset for me, less competition. [emoji16]

Out of interest what is your usual schedule.
30 days on 40 off for example?

3 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

All my work is within a 15 mile radius except for the occasional Milling job I travel to to help someone out.
From what I remember of what youve posted in the past, you fly to Norway and then get a helicopter from there. Would be way more sustainable if you lived somewhere near the helicopter site.

Sorry forgot to reply to that one.
We are not ageist. We try to keep a balance between young /old, male/female, single/couple, parent /non parent etc etc.
The oldest member here at the moment is 72. He is certainly slowing down but he does what he can. For example while we were logging he was very good at bringing out tea and cake and sorting lunch etc.
We wouldn't ever kick someone out for being old but what happens as he gets older and frailer I can't say as it's never happened in the lifespan of the community.

Where I live and where I go to work has nothing to do with sustainability. It’s obviously sustainable as I’ll most likely do this til my working days are over.